PDA

View Full Version : This gravity is too damn high

venusblue
06-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Hey everyone, this is my first post and second batch of mead!

I've been brewing in one gallon glass carboys. I just bottled up my first batch and decided to make a blueberry mead next. I was originally going to use about a pound of blueberries, 4 pounds of honey and then fill the rest with water, along with some K1V-1116 yeast.

It turns out that I accidentally added five pounds because I didn't read the jar right. This was already going to be a pretty sweet mead high in alcohol, but now it's just crazy. It's only day too and it's gurgling up a storm. But anyway, I tried taking my first gravity reading. The hydrometer could hardly stay in the must. It was much too high to get a reading.

So my questions are...

How do I know my original gravity?
At what gravity should I rack to my secondary?
Should I bother adding any kind of nutrients to this batch?
If so, should I stagger them? At what gravity?

Sorry for all the questions!

akueck
06-17-2012, 07:23 PM
I would say it would be a good idea to water it down. Most hydrometers top out at 1.170, and that is a really high gravity already. If yours is higher than that, it's really really high. Add more water until you're at least below 1.140.

Riverat
06-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Well if it was me I'd split it into two one gallon batches (unless you have a bucket) and maybe add a half a pund oh honey to each one gallon batch, should bring it a bit over 1.1....you're around 1.19 according to the calculator to you're upper left. And do a serch on staggered nutrient addition (while you're reding the Newbee guide (also to your upper left) but yes I'dd be adding some DAP and Ferm K or O

atothestrong
06-18-2012, 01:05 PM
I don't have anything helpful to contribute as I lack the experience, I was simply commenting that I fricken' LOVE your thread title.

venusblue
06-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Thank you very much for the replies, everyone. I do not have any extra carboys or a bucket, so I think I'll hold out at this... I wanted a pretty sweet desert wine. I was thinking that serving it chilled over some Vanilla ice cream would be amazing, So I don't think I'll water it down unless it has any negative effects on it. The yeast said that it was capable of around 18% alcohol, so anything past that will just remain sweetness, right?

Thank you very much for the links. I read the part on nutrition but it did not mention staggering, it was in a different section. It looks like I'll be adding my first nutrients at around 1.1 SG it seems.

Man, I really need more carboys...

wildoates
06-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Sorry, but gravity is a constant and I'm afraid that if you want lower gravity you'll have to hie yerse'f to a lower mass planet (or get farther away from this one). :)

Chevette Girl
06-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Man, I really need more carboys...

:laughing4: And thus, it begins... :)

1k_wayne
06-18-2012, 05:30 PM
http://www.memecreator.org/static/images/memes/235044.jpg

TheAlchemist
06-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Gravity's been smokin' some weed...

hepcat
06-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Gravity's been smokin' some weed...

Must be some krippy, to be that high, lol.

But, seriously, another option (surprised no one has mentioned yet), is to make a second batch after this one is done with same yeast and other ingredients but less fermentables(less than 3 lbs honey/gallon) and let it finish super dry then blend them together.
I made the same mistake with one of my batches (adding more honey/gallon than I meant to) so I then made another batch with same yeast and other ingredients (except less honey) and blended them and ended up with a nice medium sweet mead.
Good luck.

delco
06-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Hey everyone, this is my first post and second batch of mead!

I've been brewing in one gallon glass carboys. It turns out that I accidentally added five pounds. This was already going to be a pretty sweet mead high in alcohol, but now it's just crazy. It's only day too and it's gurgling up a storm.

How do I know my original gravity?
At what gravity should I rack to my secondary?
Should I bother adding any kind of nutrients to this batch?
If so, should I stagger them? At what gravity?

Although I may get corrected later, I would guess your gravity at 1.220sg. there are prob people here that could calculate it.
I would split the batch, but you could rack after it quits bubbling.
I would nutrient add each week. The final gravity I would guess really sloppy guess an fg of ... 1.130 after 6 weeks.

I am not an expert, but that's my guess. but I would split it even if I had to use a milk bottle and a balloon.