• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Rescue heater honney mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

Eisvin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Hi all great brewers out there.

I made a mead based on heather honey a year ago, using 3 kg of honey to 10 liters water (aprox 5 pound for 2 gallons converted). It fermented using Wyest Dry Mead at 20 degress c., for 10 weeks before botteling, and then I have waited for nearly a year. But what a ... it turned out to be. Tasteless, or rather a small taste of yeast, slightly sparkling, and some sediments in the bottom of the botle. Nothing to drink. :mad:

Is there any hope in turning this into something drinkable? I am thinking of putting it all back into the fermenter, add some more honey and maybe some spices to cover up the yeast taste.

Should I do it, or shoul I just throw it and make a new batch? Any thoughts?

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Hi all great brewers out there.

I made a mead based on heather honey a year ago, using 3 kg of honey to 10 liters water (aprox 5 pound for 2 gallons converted). It fermented using Wyest Dry Mead at 20 degress c., for 10 weeks before botteling, and then I have waited for nearly a year. But what a ... it turned out to be. Tasteless, or rather a small taste of yeast, slightly sparkling, and some sediments in the bottom of the botle. Nothing to drink. :mad:

Is there any hope in turning this into something drinkable? I am thinking of putting it all back into the fermenter, add some more honey and maybe some spices to cover up the yeast taste.

Should I do it, or shoul I just throw it and make a new batch? Any thoughts?
You've gone to the effort of making it, so don't throw it out.

Sediment in the bottle, and small carbonation, suggests it wasn't finished fermenting.

I would suggest that you do put it back in the fermenter, check the gravity, then stabilise it with sulphite powder or campden tablets, and potassium sorbate. Only then, add small amounts of honey and water syrup (50/50). I like my meads with a "medium" final gravity of between 1.010 and 1.015 - if you can use the same honey as was fermented, then the taste and aroma should come through.

As for ageing ? I age mine for a minimum of 6 months to a year. Some meads can need a lot longer. And I age in bulk, as its the best compromise as I don't have access to long term storage at the right temperature (low 50's F).

Last edited:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns