• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Yeast Question

Barrel Char Wood Products

THawk

Crazy Martian Cat
GotMead Patron
What would usually be the best application for 71B yeast? I have the following on-hand:

D-47 == too warm in the Philippines for that
1118 == my go-to yeast
1116 == ok, but I had a bad experience with this one... had a mango mead go dry on me
71B == no idea what to do with this one...

Bought the 71B when I was looking for different yeasts to try. Never really tried it. Basically, can I use it the same way I use EC-1118?

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
What would usually be the best application for 71B yeast? I have the following on-hand:

D-47 == too warm in the Philippines for that
1118 == my go-to yeast
1116 == ok, but I had a bad experience with this one... had a mango mead go dry on me
71B == no idea what to do with this one...

Bought the 71B when I was looking for different yeasts to try. Never really tried it. Basically, can I use it the same way I use EC-1118?
K1V-1116 is vastly superior to 1118, especially for traditionals.

1118 is fine for restarting stuck ferments and if you want a dry, sparkling mead.

71B is good for fruit based meads, especially for cysers and pyments. But you should make sure its racked after the ferment is complete.......

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
71B's a great yeast. It's just not for me, I'm too laissez-faire about leaving stuff on the lees... I'm getting more and more to be a fan of K1V and D-47 (for winter brewing at least).

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
71B's a great yeast. It's just not for me, I'm too laissez-faire about leaving stuff on the lees... I'm getting more and more to be a fan of K1V and D-47 (for winter brewing at least).
ah, well, since I found out about what the late Brother Adam used down at Buckfast, all of my traditionals are either D21 or K1V - yes I do have some 71B for "white" or "green" fruit, and RC-212 for reds, but the only time I'd use 1118 is for emergencies.

I'm not gonna go forking out for decent, varietal type honey only to loose all the aromatics to Mr Angry the fermentation monster and his atmospheric demons!

It irritates the hell out of me when I hear of yet another HBS, that obviously know bugger all about meads, recommending EC-1118 because of a little wine making experience and some poorly thought out assumptions.......

Oh, and as an aside from the "rantette", 71B is good for fruit based brews particularly if it's a "malic" fruit as it will metabolise about 1/3rd of any malic acid present. So it's a bit like having a yeast that will do limited MLF....

Reactions: BrewinNColorado

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Yeast testing is on my to-brew list, haven't gotten there yet.

Perhaps I abuse my fermentations enough that I haven't really noticed this flavour and aroma loss from Mr Angry the Ferment Monster. Or perhaps my taste is not discerning enough... I know all you want to use it for is restarts, but it's the wine yeast that has come with almost every single wine kit I've ever made, so the winemakers must think it's worth using... that, or it's a really idiot-proof yeast and grapes have a more robust flavour and aroma than honey and all the non-grape fruits we keep trying to ferment. And I've never really had access to a good varietal to worry about anyway.

I like the results from RC-212 so far, but boy is it a whiny needy little so-and-so while it's fermenting...

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
I like the results from RC-212 so far, but boy is it a whiny needy little so-and-so while it's fermenting...

I love the results with RC-212 in my Chocolate Raspberry (can't wait for the aging to be finished, wish I would have went bigger than 3 gallons), but man I don't think I babysat a yeast as much as this one!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I love the results with RC-212 in my Chocolate Raspberry (can't wait for the aging to be finished, wish I would have went bigger than 3 gallons), but man I don't think I babysat a yeast as much as this one!

Whiny McStinkypants yeast... but if you feed it, it does a damn good job.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
71B is an excellent yeast for traditional meads as well. It adds a lot of esters giving a wondeful aroma. We know it can work well at room temp (& higher) in berry melomels. Some folks have reported it works well in traditional meads @ high temperature, but I'd say that needs more study.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns