• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First Batch (Oxidation Concern)

Barrel Char Wood Products

gekster

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 25, 2012
Hi all. I'm working on my first 1 gallon batch of orange mead. It was sitting in the primary carboy for about 2 months. It was clear so I wanted to rack it into a secondary and away from all the fruit skins / lees at the bottom. I put it into the secondary carboy and I have a few inches of head space and read that oxidation might be a concern, because it is no longer fermenting.

I'm thinking of a few options that I have...

1) Add marbles to reduce the head space
2) Wait a few days for it to clear up (and risk oxidation) and then bottle
3) Rack into smaller vessel(s). If I decide to do this - could I rack the 1 gallon of mead into a couple wine bottles and cork them? And then re-bottle them when they clear up?

Any advice for cleaning up this beginner's mess? Thanks in advance!

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
If it is ready to bottle, you can go that route. A couple days sitting shouldn't do that much damage unless you're keeping it really warm. If it's under airlock now, it's not like new air is getting in.

Personally I'd say that unless you're planning on having it sit in that container for several more months, any manipulation you do now to reduce headspace (either adding marbles or racking it again) is going to cause just as much or more oxidation as leaving it where it is. I don't have any data to back this up, but that's my guess.

gekster

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 25, 2012
Thanks! I can see the yeast particles settling to the bottom again slowly. Hopefully it will be clear by the weekend so I can bottle.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns