PDA

View Full Version : Wine storage project

Riverat
06-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Well I've found the perfect spot to build in a wine rack / cellar. still cutting pieces (about 600 so far, some assembly required, batteries not included...

So far I've reduced a stack of lumber 1 1/2 ft X 2 ft X 8 ft to a stack less than half that and a few boxes of pieces and a jig (and a mountain of sawdust!)
Will have 274 bottles of storage in a 4 ft X 6 ft floor space with an area for bulk storage and fermenting and temp control to boot.....wondered what I would ever do with that space between phase two and three of the house!

caffeine211
06-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Good luck on the project! Very jealous that you have the space for all those bottles... especially since my current system is cramming stuff into any open floor/shelf space!

Chevette Girl
06-27-2012, 01:28 AM
Nice!!

I've been gradually fixing up my space too... currently it's like this, I made the wooden grid out of 1/4" plywood to fit dessert size bottles, and what you can't see are the two other storebought racks like the top one are behind the removable countertop, and I've got two other shelves on the other side of the freezer which are full of wine cases on their sides as extra shelving... I'm always trying to keep the area tidy and organized, but it's like one of those slidey-puzzles with one tile missing so you have to manoeuver everything around using your one bit of free space... only I don't have that missing tile to work with, the space is full of dirty wine bottles :p

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/548154_452172638140509_1509839406_n.jpg

(oops, this is an older picture, the big freezer is out of there and a chrome wine rack fits in beside the little one that's there now... what did I do with the new photo, I know I took one... bet it's still in the camera :rolleyes:)

Edit: found it...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/540852_452172624807177_537816275_n.jpg

The blue sheet protects the whites and the small bottles rack from the fluorescent lights, the shelf and countertop protect teh reds below, and everything else is in a case and/or has a collection of junk piled up in front of it...

Riverat
06-27-2012, 10:04 PM
There always "just" enough space isn't there? Not sure where I'd put a visitor at the moment, until I get out of construction mode the spare room is pretty much the mead room, been getting out of hand that way so I undertook this project to reclaim the spare bedroom...anything worth doing at all is worth doing to excess....a genetic characteristic of us Houghtaling's!

darkangel
07-19-2012, 12:59 AM
Wow, nice wine cellars.

By the way, I'm planning to build my wine cellar at home, any suggestion?

Riverat
07-19-2012, 05:54 AM
Well finding dark, cool (or controlable) space you can spare is the hardest part, after that is bought found or built. Poke around the internet after you have found your space to get some ideas after that.

Riverat
01-30-2013, 09:30 PM

Finaly got off my butt and finished the rack, cooling by summer?

Marshmallow Blue
01-30-2013, 09:48 PM
What an absolute beast. Very nice work. Hope you never move. Looks like it'd be pretty tough.

Riverat
01-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks and yea, you could park a truck on it and it's built in, not subject to being moved (kinda like me) so whoever I leave this place to ought to have or develop a taste for wine and anything I didn't polish off

TheAlchemist
01-30-2013, 11:04 PM
Thanks and yea, you could park a truck on it and it's built in, not subject to being moved (kinda like me) so whoever I leave this place to ought to have or develop a taste for wine and anything I didn't polish off

Wow. I am very proud of you. You do awesome work. But please don't go leaving this beautiful bluegreen earth any time soon, OK?

Altricious
01-30-2013, 11:29 PM
Beautiful rack. You should hire out.

Marshmallow Blue
01-31-2013, 10:42 AM

Sounds like it might seal the deal for potential buyers. "Well the bathroom has that 70s Lime green tile top to bottom... BUT there is a nice wine rack 1/3 full of home brewed mead I didn't finish last night while I was crying about having to lave behind my beautiful rack"

Riverat
01-31-2013, 08:27 PM
Wow. I am very proud of you. You do awesome work. But please don't go leaving this beautiful bluegreen earth any time soon, OK?

Nooo, I plan on hanging around many more years, after all while it's the only game in town, hands down life's the best game in town!

Medsen Fey
01-31-2013, 11:29 PM
Beautiful rack...

Not something you usually hear said about a guy. :D
(But clearly appropriate here!)

Altricious
02-04-2013, 04:32 PM

As a busty girl, the irony was not lost on me.

Also, I curbed the urge to be more suggestive in my suggestion he hire himself out.

Riverat
02-04-2013, 07:19 PM
As a busty girl, the irony was not lost on me.

Also, I curbed the urge to be more suggestive in my suggestion he hire himself out.

LMAO!! Urges curbed...here?! well now I'm not free but can be pretty cheap, I do great work for meals and drinks! ;D

Marshmallow Blue
02-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Ill trade you a high quality McDonald's meal of your choosing for one wine rack. I might even throw in a can of Budweiser for your trouble. I will also expect the rack to be filled with your greatest meads to date.
Your client,
Marshmallow blue

Altricious
02-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Ill trade you a high quality McDonald's meal of your choosing for one wine rack. I might even throw in a can of Budweiser for your trouble. I will also expect the rack to be filled with your greatest meads to date.
Your client,
Marshmallow blue

I'd make a better offer than that, but I'd also want the whole wall wine rack in return. Steak, good beer and ANY dessert of your choice. ;)

Alas, you are very far away and I would not expect anyone to travel so far to be my slave.

psychopomp23
02-05-2013, 09:08 AM

Well you know...Great racks are hard to find!

TheAlchemist
02-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Well!
If we're all placing our orders...
How'd you feel about a bison roast?

Riverat
02-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Yes well thanks all!! The travel per diem may wind up being prohibitive.....but "any dessert" "Bison"? Now if I just didn't have this whole job thing and could roam at will, I can just see it....have saw, will travel

skunkboy
02-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Nice rack! hehe...

Riverat
02-28-2014, 01:23 PM
And almost halfway full, another 11 gal ready to bottle (when I get off my backside) and another 17 gal aging / clearing....hmm, gotta get some more carboys going, but I think I'll get some beer going for the moment.

MourneMead
02-28-2014, 01:34 PM
That's really impressive. Did you build it yourself?

I'm having to consider some options at present on storage - between my wife's wine and my mead we're racking up the bottles.

(racking...geddit... in joke... :) )

GntlKnigt1
02-28-2014, 01:48 PM
Well, I have a below grade cellar where I store the mead now....it was 50 F in there the other day when I retrieved some stuff. There is a flimsy bookcase that I am storing on... if I could make more sense of your plans, I would think about that.... Is that shoe molding that is cradeling the bottles?

Riverat
02-28-2014, 02:27 PM
Boy a real cellar would be sweet but here the water table won't allow it, I had to settle on some dead space between rooms.
I did build it myself (heck I built the house!) I cut all the pieces (800 or so?) from 2" X 6's and 8's the vertical parts are more or less built like 2 sided ladders with the "steps" being 8" long and 3/4" X 3/4" X 1" triangular as viewed from the ends and the vertical lengths being 3/4" X 3" X 8'
I built a jig so I could lay the parts in, glue and brad them together and they would all be identical.
Along the rear, on the wall it's anchored to are horizontal 3/4" X 3" runners screwed to the studs I cut dados in to match the spacing of the "ladders" , the "ladders are glued and braded to these and the front tied together with smaller versions.
The base is doubled up 2" X 6" and doubled up 2" X 4's (I figure a load of a ton and a half)
It is hard to visualize just from the pictures, but if you have a good table saw, an air gun / brad gun and patience you might surprise yourself.
It would of course gone much faster with molding but cutting my own was much cheaper and I have a lot more time than money.

GntlKnigt1
02-28-2014, 04:11 PM
Boy a real cellar would be sweet but here the water table won't allow it, I had to settle on some dead space between rooms.
I did build it myself (heck I built the house!) I cut all the pieces (800 or so?) from 2" X 6's and 8's the vertical parts are more or less built like 2 sided ladders with the "steps" being 8" long and 3/4" X 3/4" X 1" triangular as viewed from the ends and the vertical lengths being 3/4" X 3" X 8'
I built a jig so I could lay the parts in, glue and brad them together and they would all be identical.
Along the rear, on the wall it's anchored to are horizontal 3/4" X 3" runners screwed to the studs I cut dados in to match the spacing of the "ladders" , the "ladders are glued and braded to these and the front tied together with smaller versions.
The base is doubled up 2" X 6" and doubled up 2" X 4's (I figure a load of a ton and a half)
It is hard to visualize just from the pictures, but if you have a good table saw, an air gun / brad gun and patience you might surprise yourself.
It would of course gone much faster with molding but cutting my own was much cheaper and I have a lot more time than money.

Wow !!! And I almost follow that !! If I study it for a bit, I might even get it down.... but one question....

Georgia was in a drought...more or less severe for almost 10 years. How can you be in an area with a water table that high? Mannye I can understand there in south FL, but Georgia?

Riverat
02-28-2014, 04:28 PM
Well I'm just outside of Savannah not much above sea level, Mostly flat land (very much like Florida where I'm from by the way) and they don't call this area "The low country" for nothing!
My lot is on a slope (21' drop from front to back, a "hill" around here) from the road back and the water table (other than drought years) is pretty much inches from the surface or just above at the back. And I've seen the back acre under 12' of water before, lapping at the foundation but still 5' below the floor joists (forgot the name of the hurricane, Floyd maybe)

GntlKnigt1
02-28-2014, 07:03 PM
Ahhh...okay. I know how that goes. This place is about 13 feet below sea level. Its cool so long as the levees hold and all....Dutch have done amazing things with drainage.

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

Bob1016
02-28-2014, 07:31 PM
21' slope! That's a mountain around here! But the Dutch have everyone beat.

kudapucat
02-28-2014, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I thought my (calculating in silly units) 12' drop over... 80' was big.
Excavating... 6' down under the house into the side of the hill.
Aught to give me a cellar with 8' ceilings.
Can't wait to fit it out. 20' square area for laundry/mead kitchen and cellar.

mannye
02-28-2014, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I thought my (calculating in silly units) 12' drop over... 80' was big.
Excavating... 6' down under the house into the side of the hill.
Aught to give me a cellar with 8' ceilings.
Can't wait to fit it out. 20' square area for laundry/mead kitchen and cellar.

Oh man...the envy is strong in me now! I can only hope to have a cellar if I spend lots on electric coolers.

GntlKnigt1
03-02-2014, 11:19 AM
Okay.. here is my (depleted) wine rack; an old bookcase in a below grade cellar with a 5' ceiling. Have many empty bottles there awaiting some filling and labeling to replenish my supply and collection.

Riverat
03-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Okay.. here is my (depleted) wine rack; an old bookcase in a below grade cellar with a 5' ceiling. Have many empty bottles there awaiting some filling and labeling to replenish my supply and collection.

Hmm, that looks like it wouldn't be too difficult to turn into something classy and with a lot of storage.

GntlKnigt1
03-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Probably so. I need to have the mead to fill it!

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

GntlKnigt1
03-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Okay... here it is. A 528 bottle wine room.... http://trib.in/14SIspJ

comes complete with an 8000 sq ft house around it for a trifiling $5.5 million.

mannye
03-26-2014, 12:01 PM
Okay... here it is. A 528 bottle wine room.... http://trib.in/14SIspJ

comes complete with an 8000 sq ft house around it for a trifiling $5.5 million.

Believe it or not, that's a good value! Give me a few minutes and I will take a picture of the place going up across the street from me. You could buy...wait for it.... SIX of those 5.5M houses with what this one is going for. AND STILL NO WINE CELLAR!!!!

GntlKnigt1
03-26-2014, 01:36 PM
Sniff, sniff. Plebians.....

mannye
03-26-2014, 03:08 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/27/udutejad.jpg

There's a little taste of what 39 million gets you in Miami beach. Lol. I'll sneak onto the site after the workers leave.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

GntlKnigt1
03-26-2014, 03:11 PM
Harumph....looks like my tool shed.....

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

kudapucat
03-26-2014, 03:22 PM
It doesn't look impressive. But then Mannye's no scheming RealEstate photographer with fish-eye lenses either...
39mil is obscene.

mannye
03-26-2014, 03:38 PM
5.5 not looking so crazy now is it? Lol.

danr
03-26-2014, 03:45 PM
There's a little taste of what 39 million gets you in Miami beach. Lol. I'll sneak onto the site after the workers leave.

Where is the ocean?

BTW, how did you insert your picture? Your's shows up as an image for me, mine just attach as file names that have to be opened.

mannye
03-26-2014, 05:01 PM
I use tapatalk because it makes posting pictures so easy. And since I take 90% of my pictures with my smart phone it removes a step!