PDA

View Full Version : Bottle conditioning a Braggot

jpog
06-30-2012, 06:03 PM
So I just added...9 oz of corn sugar to my one gallon of braggot and bottled it. I am assuming I should leave the bottles out at room temp. and not put them in the firdge because the fridge would cause the yeats to go dorminate...is that true? Or can I put them in the firdge to bottle condition?

hepcat
06-30-2012, 09:29 PM
Yikes! That sounds like alot!! Did you use a calculator online to arrive at that amount?? And did you hydrate it first? And if yes, how much water did you hydrate the sugar with?
I've seen on homebrewtalk.com that general guide line is 1oz priming sugar per gallon but it also depends on beer style and wort temp when you prime. I'd put those bottles some where they won't make too big of a mess if they blow.

jpog
06-30-2012, 09:39 PM
Sorry..it should say 0.9 oz..:D..I hydrated it with about a 8oz of warm water.

How long did it take for your bottles to carbonate..I am seeing no activity after 5 hrs.

hepcat
06-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Ha, glad to hear that! I couldn't believe how fast mine carbed, only six days. And I just drank my last bottle yesterday :( and haven't even started my next braggot yet. But I've got all my ingredients for it and will make it soon!

And I only used ~1/2 cup water for 3/4 cup priming sugar, for my 5 gallon batch.I just think it's better to use the smallest amount of water needed to hydrate priming sugar, so as not to dilute your must/wort too much.

jpog
07-01-2012, 09:29 AM
So did you let you braggot bottle condition at room temp. or in the fridge, I imagine at room temp? WOW!! You already finished your 5 gallon of braggot off..:o..must of tasted GOOD!! I am having a hard time keeping up with my own mead demands too...haha

wildoates
07-01-2012, 09:53 AM
I just about had a heart attack at that 9 oz in one gallon of braggot.

thumpthumpthump

:)

hepcat
07-01-2012, 03:14 PM
So did you let you braggot bottle condition at room temp. or in the fridge, I imagine at room temp? WOW!! You already finished your 5 gallon of braggot off..:o..must of tasted GOOD!! I am having a hard time keeping up with my own mead demands too...haha

LOL, yeah it was good! Shared some too with friends. I never drank more than two per day, at 9%ABV it packed a punch.

I stored my bottles in two cardboard boxes at room temp(~72*F) and then kept a few chilled in the fridge after only a ~week of bottle conditioning.