PDA

View Full Version : DC area!

Boogaloo
06-30-2012, 07:42 PM
No power for a week! Doesnt BGE know I have mead fermenting!

wildoates
07-01-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm glad I'm just flying into Dulles and leaving again in a few hours.

Chevette Girl
07-01-2012, 12:40 PM
No power for a week?!? That sucks. And makes me want to hoard more canned goods and combustibles... I won't live in a house without a fireplace and/or BBQ after the big summer blackout some years back...

delco
07-02-2012, 10:15 AM
I, and I suppose everyone else, imagine how this would effect me.
Last week I put a 50lb bucket of honey in my car with the windows up. The honey was crystallized and is now clear. I would guess that it was warmed to a temp of 135f. That probably passes as a pasteurization. So If I didn't have air conditioning I would have to move my brews to the basement. My yeasts might be in trouble if the temp is over 105, of course I would too.

Whatshisface
07-02-2012, 11:10 AM
No power for a week?!? That sucks. And makes me want to hoard more canned goods and combustibles... I won't live in a house without a fireplace and/or BBQ after the big summer blackout some years back...

Amen to that. My Family and I went through 4 days at the end of a Michigan winter/beginning of spring with no power. Even though we had a fireplace downstairs which made things bearable, I have now installed a wood burner upstairs. I do not want to go through that again.

Chevette Girl
07-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Yep, a habachi and two bags of briquettes are the emergency stash since I can't keep a BBQ here, I've always got a couple cases of random canned goods and a full freezer, I probably have enough candle wax and wicking to keep the room temps up or do some cooking, plus enough wood for the fireplace to do cooking for a while (although I'm sure, not nearly long enough, but I do know where to get more presuming I have transportation when disaster hits)... and fortunately the way Ottawa's water system works, even with no electricity the water towers are kept full so we still have water pressure (they switch to diesel power in the evenings to save on electricity anyway, I still had water on the 11th floor of my apartment during the big summer blackout)... although we still keep a case of bottled water and a few gallons of tap water in pop bottles hiding just in case something disrupts the water system, enough to hold us through till we can get to one of our many friends with wells... One of these years I should really fix the Coleman stove too...

Boogaloo
07-02-2012, 02:39 PM

Finally got to work and have a computer! I wrote that last message at starbucks where they let me charge my phone and computer. Power is still out but we're surviving. In fact better than any other family on the block. I have to give big thanks to my prepper friend from New Hampshire. He's fully prepared for the end of the world and my wife and I decided we'd store up enough supplies for 6 months and that's it. It suuuuuure came in handy. We're were cooking on our front porch, had a camp lantern going, music in a mini radio, and candles in all the main rooms. Basement stayed a constant 81 F. I don't think that'll affect any of my ferments.