PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Mead Ideas

Atlas
07-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Hi all,

This year I'm planning on giving out hampers to family/friends/etc for Christmas to save on all the boring rushing-around and the tediousness of trying to find presents people won't just immediately sell on ebay. Naturally, a mead should be inside.

My problem is thus: last year, I whipped up a batch of JAO for Christmas which was thoroughly enjoyed by none of the aforementioned family/friends/etc, so now I have to think of what I can brew up between now and mid-December that will appeal to all tastes.

I've been thinking of maybe giving out some pear and apple cyser that's going nicely at the moment, but I'm not sure if it's going to be drinkable in time (my last batch of the same recipe wasn't good at all for at least 14 months), and I'm quite stuck for ideas. Any suggestions?

akueck
07-04-2012, 10:49 AM
You could check out the 3-week quick pyment. It's similar in execution to JAO but with grapes instead of orange and spice.

Chevette Girl
07-04-2012, 12:11 PM
My blackberry JAO variation's pretty good pretty quickly, use 12 oz blackberries instead of the orange, mess with the spices as you see fit...

Duracell
07-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Agree with both the below, Joe's at 6 months is pretty tasty. Either sub in different fruit or just spice to flavor and you'll be fine. I did a pyment last year that everyone called Christmas mead because of the spices.

This is what I added to 3 gallons:
2 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp. ground marjoram
1 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

Once in primary and again in secondary. I had a few people comment it was like nose crack.

P.S. Sorry CG if that adds to your list ;D

Atlas
07-05-2012, 03:35 AM
Yea, a pyment may go down well with the wine drinkers, and still plenty of time to make a test batch (which unfortunately I'll just have to drink to myself... ;) )
I'll probably be making a blackberry mead soon too seeming the season's coming up quick, hopefully something will be ready for giving out then!

Anyone ever tried making a braggot?

kudapucat
07-05-2012, 06:36 AM
Akueck, have you got a link for that 3-week pyment recipe?

akueck
07-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Well I found this pyment (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_rapidrecipe&page=viewrecipe&recipe_id=120&Itemid=459), and this 3-week mead (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_rapidrecipe&page=viewrecipe&recipe_id=119&Itemid=459). Perhaps I was combining them in my head? Well, you can still work with them to come up with a fairly quick mead.

These are both from the Quick Mead section of the recipes on the main site.

kudapucat
07-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Well I found this pyment (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_rapidrecipe&page=viewrecipe&recipe_id=120&Itemid=459), and this 3-week mead (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_rapidrecipe&page=viewrecipe&recipe_id=119&Itemid=459). Perhaps I was combining them in my head? Well, you can still work with them to come up with a fairly quick mead.

These are both from the Quick Mead section of the recipes on the main site.
Thanks for that.

Hmmm both recipes from the great Joe Mattioli, both with reviews int he last 12 months. Both asking questions, which seems inappropriate for a review, but hey.

The review for the 3 week mead is a shining example of why Joe spent the time and effort designing the JAO - Greatest simple mead recipe ever.

I think, based on the fact that Joe wrote these, I will use them as reference, but make a JAG (JAOv) with grapes, but I'll have to wait for next season for that, there's no grapes in winter ;-) and I don't like using cordials - no particular reason, I just don't like it.

Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to search JAO and grape with Chevette Girl as the author... I may just find something beautiful

Chevette Girl
07-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to search JAO and grape with Chevette Girl as the author... I may just find something beautiful

Nope. Blackberries, green apples, raspberries, lemons, cranberries, strawberries, black currants, black raspberries, blood oranges, tangelos, grapefruit, starfruit, figs, chevette parts, yes... but not with grapes... not yet, anyway. There are a couple threads about JAO variants/variations, try searching those out and you'll find lots of ideas.

kudapucat
07-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Nope. Blackberries, green apples, raspberries, lemons, cranberries, strawberries, black currants, black raspberries, blood oranges, tangelos, grapefruit, starfruit, figs, chevette parts, yes... but not with grapes... not yet, anyway. There are a couple threads about JAO variants/variations, try searching those out and you'll find lots of ideas.

Wow, in this department, you've never let me down before!
I'm going to have to move you down from demi-god status, back to Superb Meadher ;-)

btw... did I just lengthen your list? ;-)

Chevette Girl
07-06-2012, 11:36 AM
btw... did I just lengthen your list? ;-)

Nope. Not everything has to be done JAO style.;D I do have a wild grape pyment and plans for a wine kit pyment, close enough for me. Future JAO plans include seeing what happens if I treat the yeast right and also adding chocolate...

kudapucat
07-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Restraint? Wow. Two surprises in one thread! J/k
I might just have to break new ground when I try it then.