PDA

View Full Version : Braggot Taste?

jpog
07-09-2012, 01:29 PM
So my poor excuse for a braggot...doesn't taste so good. It no longer tastes terrible but it definitely isn't good. It has bottled conditioned for 9 days now..it has ok head..and conditioning. If you remember I have had a couple threads posted on problems with my braggot. The good news is the color came back it's a nice dark amber color!! Looks Great! So it started as a nice dark amber, during fermenting it turned to a yucky tan...and then after 5 days of bottled conditioning turned back to a nice dark amber.

The main problem with the taste is it finishes really SOUR...maybe the yeast?..what would cause that?

Medsen Fey
07-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Recipe details please?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jpog
07-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Here it is:

1.25 lbs of Pure Wildflower Honey
1 lb of Amber DME
3oz of 10L crystal (Milled) Malt
3/4 oz Cascade hops
Instead of Lalvin D47 yeast (hepcat used this) I used Active Bread yeast..That it might give it a good taste. Plus I wanted a strong Braggot
Irish Moss

Starting SG 1.095..let it ferment 7 days
Finishing SG 1.007

Racked into secondary and let in sit for 5 days. Bottled it on the 5th day with 0.9oz of corn sugar.

akueck
07-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Can you describe the taste more? Is the sourness an acetic flavor (vinegar), or more lactic (yogurt)? Some other sourness? Are you sure it's sour and not bitter?

How long did you boil the hops?

jpog
07-10-2012, 11:25 AM
The sour is more of a yogurt sourness...not terrible..but definitely sour..like unflavored greek yogurt.

I boiled 1/3 of the 3/4 oz hops for 60 mins, 1/3 for 20 mins and 1/3 added to the hot water at the end.

Its definitely not bitternes...I luv IPAs, and this is not a strong bitter taste.

PaintedRat
07-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Give it another week see if it improves.

jpog
07-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, justed wnated to let everyone know my braggot came out tasting ok...I have a bottle a week and its interesting to see how the taset has matured into something tasteful. It took about 2 weeks of bottle conditioning for it to tast decent

hepcat
07-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Glad yours turned out good jpog.
I've made one more braggot since my first BIG Braggot, my Blonde Braggot (pale ale style) and also an ale, my Brown Eyed Girl (American brown ale style). They're both still bottle conditioning. Hope you have another one going too.
And here's a great beer recipe calculator that I find more appropriate for braggots, and it's free: http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

And if you or anyone else on this board is interested, here are my braggot and ale recipes I've put together so far, I don't mind sharing, no charge, lol. http://hopville.com/brewer/hepcat
I've already made the Big, blonde (braggots) and brown (ale) recipes, the other two are on tap, will be brewing the SNPA Clone next, can't wait, it's my favorite commercial beer.
Cheers.

jpog
07-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Thanks a ton!!!

Cheers

mccann51
07-31-2012, 12:19 AM
Let it age. 'Sour' flavor is often attributed to a honey-based brew being too young in my experience. With an SG of 1.095, a few months is not an unreasonable amount of time to let it age.

jpog
07-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Quick question, hepcat can you bottle age while refirgerated, will the taste develop while cooled or does it slow down the aging process for a braggot. I bottled conditioned at room temp. for 2 weeks to keep the yeast active but then I stuck them in the fridge. They have pleanty of carbonation.

Medsen Fey
07-31-2012, 03:05 PM
If your fridge is set for cellar temps it will age nicely. If it is set at normal fridge temps it will dramatically slow the aging.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2