PDA

View Full Version : MMA - "Mead Makers Anonymous"

THawk
07-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Hi. I'm THawk. I think I have a problem...

TheAlchemist
07-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Are you powerless over the yeasties? Has your life become unmanageable?

Chevette Girl
07-16-2012, 02:30 AM
Hi, my name is Chevette Girl and I have a problem... more wine and mead in secondary than I have bottles for, more carboys than I have shelf space for and more frozen fruit than my freezer can hold... and more wine and mead in storage than I could drink...

Kelvin
07-16-2012, 02:53 AM
Haha! Thanks Chevette Girl. I guess I have to admit my problem as well. But like you I have to nip it now before I go out and buy more carboys. I think I have plenty of work on my hands anyway :) 3 batches (although one is JAO) is enough for now.

THawk
07-16-2012, 03:23 AM
I don't have enough room. My backlog is growing. when I finally get around to doing a particular recipe, another one comes up that I want to try!

I've got more mead than I ever plan to drink. I spend most of my time wondering what I can ferment next. Help!!

Kelvin
07-16-2012, 04:14 AM
I can totally see this happening to me as well dude. But I live in a shotgun house in NOLA where it is hot and there is not much dark space. As it is now I have all my glass fermentations in boxes under tables and my bucket under a table as well. : (
Oh well, 1 more year and I'll be back in Indiana where I can buy an awesome house on the cheap.

Chevette Girl
07-16-2012, 12:01 PM
I had a laundry tub installed in my basement to get my brewing out of the kitchen and my set of shelves gives me 36"x36" x 3 tiers and I still don't have enough room for my 3-, 5- and 6-gal carboys and my 54 litre demijohn lives on a shelf in the gaming section of the room...

The steps I am taking to control my habit: by my decree, I am NOT ALLOWED to buy any more carboys unless it's to replace a broken/chipped one. By my husband's decree I am NOT ALLOWED to store any winemaking fruit in the upstairs freezer. I'd better go brew something to make room down there before he notices the 8 lb of red currants in there...

Unfortunately my to-brew list is still 3 pages long and I will ferment anything that sits still long enough...

Kelvin
07-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Someday I won't be a renter and will be able to make living adjustments to make room for hobbies.

Riverat
07-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Hi, I'm Riverat and have a problem, it seems that the answer to most of my issues has always involved more carboys. They have taken over my spare bedroom and creep into the kitchen on occasion as well. Ingredients for the "To Do List" grow and grow. An interesting honey just has to be aquired. A closet is being reworked into a wine cellar, a stack of lumber has been reduced to a mountain of sawdust and several hundred little pieces with a stack of sub assemblies finaly starting to look like parts of a wine rack taking up my dining room floor....happily out of control!

TheAlchemist
07-16-2012, 06:07 PM
... more carboys...the "To Do List" ....happily out of control!

More carboys!

Soyala_Amaya
07-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Hi, I'm Jackie...and I KNOW I have a freaking problem. I have been making mead for a little over a year and have hit triple digits, my honey supplier knows me by name and the last time I sent her an order her reply was "I was just thinking it was time to hear from you again!" My boyfriend created a new DnD character who's a dwarf traveling the land looking for his ancestral recipe book that was stolen...and trying to create the 'perfect brew' from new and exotic ingredients as he travels. He told me he based many of the Brewmaster Monk off of me.

wargodsown
07-16-2012, 08:30 PM
I DO NOT HAVE A MEAD MAKING PROBLEM..... i have a problem storing it lol.

but hey how many hobbies do you know of that have this good a return and span a time frame so long.... so i totally need to build a wine rack lol first gallong of mead i ever made is ready to bottle just as soon as i backsweeten it and i want a pretty rack good thing my family is into construction yay for free materials

THawk
07-16-2012, 10:54 PM
I will ferment anything that sits still long enough...

A friend gave my family some santol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santol_%28fruit%29). The first thing I said was "Thanks! Hmm. I wonder if I can ferment that..."

greenbucks
07-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Time to start selling! Am more than willing to buy some of your stuff. I would love to have a 'cellar' of sorts of mead from different hobbyists. Am impatient when i comes to making mead and tend to drink em stuff before they even age. I am lucky too that I live close to a guy whom makes great stuff and doesn't have much room to store his mead.;D;D;D His name is Thawk. ha ha ha

How i wish we all lived in one neighborhood... ha ha ha .

Chevette Girl
07-17-2012, 12:05 AM
The first thing I said was "Thanks! Hmm. I wonder if I can ferment that..."

Well, duuuhh, of course you can.

...aww crap, apparently I'm an enabler too :)

Midnight Sun
07-17-2012, 12:28 AM
The first step to recovery is admitting to yourself that you have a problem. Which I don't. Really, I don't!

THawk
07-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Time to start selling! Am more than willing to buy some of your stuff.

US Federal homebrewing laws prohibit sales... sending liquor through the post is equally illegal... can your cousin go from state to state to pick them up? I'm willing to pitch in if so... ;)

Soyala_Amaya
07-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Time to start selling!

No no no, I never SELL anything! However, sometimes someone likes what I make so much they want to donate money towards the cause of making sure more delicious mead comes into the world. Who am I to turn down their spontaneous and generous offer?

dingurth
07-17-2012, 05:19 PM
No no no, I never SELL anything! However, sometimes someone likes what I make so much they want to donate money towards the cause of making sure more delicious mead comes into the world. Who am I to turn down their spontaneous and generous offer?

But of course. Turning them down would just be plain rude. ;D

It's really a shame though that there isn't a homebrewer liquor license that's cheap. Something available to people who don't want to open a bar or restaurant.

TheAlchemist
07-17-2012, 06:42 PM

"Accepting a gift honors the giver"
Clever Olde Asian

Chevette Girl
07-18-2012, 01:41 AM

I firmly told one friend that I would not, could not, sell to her... but I'd make her a batch of her own if she bought me the honey. And if she wants to gift me with a little extra honey on top for my time, that's acceptable too. At least nobody could prove it in court, anyway...

TheAlchemist
07-18-2012, 12:45 PM
I believe in a gifting based economy...but you already knew that.

wargodsown
07-18-2012, 01:48 PM
The barter system works well for me I have friends who want mead I told the buy supplies for it and ill walk em thru the steps and provide the tools.... and the housing lol since I make mead 2 gallons at a time one for me and one for you.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Kelvin
07-21-2012, 02:35 AM
Just went out and bought a stainless brew pot, and DME and grains to make a braggot. It's starting to take off. So.. apparently I'm never satisfied. I think Brewstock is starting to like me and my problem : /

This is it!!! I'm going to at least rack one or two before I start another one. Shit...school starts in less than a month. I won't have time to do much more. :mad:

Chevette Girl
07-22-2012, 12:36 AM
Oh, come on, there's nothing better for study evasion than having honey and fruit calling your name, saying, "Brew me! Brew me!!!"

THawk
07-22-2012, 01:56 AM
Oh, come on, there's nothing better for study evasion than having honey and fruit calling your name, saying, "Brew me! Brew me!!!"

Now now, Chevette... This place is to help those of us who have a mead making addiction problem -- something I ABSOLUTELY know I don't have... ;D

Chevette Girl
07-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Now now, Chevette... This place is to help those of us who have a mead making addiction problem -- something I ABSOLUTELY know I don't have... ;D

I'm ... um.... empathizing? with my freezer full of fruit tha needs to be brewed so I have more room in the freezer for more fruit? :rolleyes:

THawk
07-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Kelvin, you might want to discuss your, err, problem, with some friends... who knows, you might become more popular... ;D

Kelvin
07-24-2012, 03:20 AM
Ugh I'm in law school. I have no friends here. : p I'm just a poor kid who got where he is from hard work and military... I'm not one of "them". My only friends here are my neighbors and my girl friend. But I'm ok with that.
However, that being said, NOLA is a great place full of wonderful people. I have made some friends but when you are in law school you just don't have time to strengthen them.

On the other hand, my friends at home I COULD get into brewing but we don't keep in touch that often and when I am there we generally talk and work on music or cinema. However, I DID make a JAO with my nephew who I think is gonna get into brewing. He is already talking about doing different things... : )
mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Vandall
07-24-2012, 11:59 AM
My name is Vandall and I also have an AWESOME problem. I currently have 2 five gallon batches aging, 2 five gallon batches in various stages of fermentation, a freezer full of berries, and a whole lot of ideas. I find that an empty ale pail / carboy is a waste of space. I am building a wine rack that will hold 156 bottles and I'm afraid that it wont be enough. Thank god for Corney Kegs.

Khan
07-24-2012, 01:27 PM
I ferment, I drink, I get drunk, I fall down... See no problems here!

Chevette Girl
08-03-2012, 12:13 PM
My name is Vandall and I also have an AWESOME problem. I currently have 2 five gallon batches aging, 2 five gallon batches in various stages of fermentation, a freezer full of berries, and a whole lot of ideas. I find that an empty ale pail / carboy is a waste of space. I am building a wine rack that will hold 156 bottles and I'm afraid that it wont be enough. Thank god for Corney Kegs.

Nope, 156 bottles won't be enough storage :)

Soyala_Amaya
08-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Ugh I'm in law school. I have no friends here.

Wait...you are in school...and have booze...and 'have no friends'. Sweetheart, you're doing alcohol wrong. I'm a very straightforward, jump into the group, no one can ignore if I have something to say kind of girl (German/Irish and all sass ;D) and even I was amazed at how many people appeared out of the woodwork when I started walking around events with bottles of things. I had things, they had things, things in common were shared (and drank), and my facebook grew (I only add people if I know them personally).

KJUNRebel
08-04-2012, 08:27 AM
[QUOTE=Kelvin;195739NOLA is a great place [/QUOTE]

Yep - you HAVE to be drinking alcohol to think that. ;)
KJ