PDA

View Full Version : Hot hot hot!

Chevette Girl
07-16-2012, 12:41 PM
I think we've been two weeks now with daytime temperatures not lower than the 30's, mid to high 30's with the humidex, it's probably been a month since the last good rain we had, we're technically in a stage 2 drought in Ottawa and even had our own nasty brush fire recently... I've been drinking ice water, sitting in front of a fan and putting ice packs under my rabbit's cage... how's everyone else doing?

Even my basement's around 27 degrees, so no D47 for me...

I'm just thankful that it's dropping to the low 20's overnight and my bedroom has windows on two different facings so we can get a cross breeze to cool the room down.

(for you Farenheit folks... 35C=95F, 30C=86F, 27C=80F, 25C=77F)

TheAlchemist
07-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Yep it's hot and DRY here too.

Most of my spinning is focused on singing down the RAIN these past several weeks.

Chevette Girl
07-16-2012, 01:12 PM
We were supposed to get a storm yesterday but though some areas got a cloudburst, all we got was some ominous rumbling... Mother Nature's such a tease...

More t-storms forecast overnight and tomorrow, here's hoping...

AlphaGenetics
07-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Dreadfully humid, isn't it? My basement doesn't move much from 20-22C, luckily ;p

Medsen Fey
07-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Welcome to my normal summer :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Chevette Girl
07-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Welcome to my normal summer :)

Well, yes, but you expect that, you're in Florida!... and you also don't have to contend with winters that spend a good bit of time below -20C (-5F)!

And my basement really only gets warmer than 22C or so because we have 2 computers down there and it's my husband's man cave...

akueck
07-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Actually, it's not so bad here. We're definitely using the a/c, but only to keep it below 80 F in the house. We thought we'd be much more wimpy our first summer out of CA. Hopefully this bodes well for winter too.

Got some rain yesterday, it's only been in the high 80s (although forecasted mid-90s later this week). Technically I think it's a drought here still, but the corn is still getting taller so it can't be that bad.

The new house (maybe? next week?) has a rather cold basement. Feeling pretty darn lucky over here. :D

THawk
07-17-2012, 04:22 AM

Come now... you don't want to make anything for your car (i.e. jet fuel)? :)

Yo momma
07-17-2012, 06:15 AM
Here in Michigan, our normal is 80 degrees, its been close if not over 100 degrees for a month with no rain. My grass looks like sand and crunches like cereal. No brewing until the temps get to around 70.

PitBull
07-17-2012, 06:48 AM
The last couple of months in the Pittsburgh area have been brutal. It has constantly reached 90 and often approached 100. So far this year we've reached or exceeded 90 degrees 16 times, plus today and tomorrow will add two more days to that total. The humidity is quite high, which is the norm in southwestern PA. The average high at the hottest time of the year is 83 degrees (according to Accuweather).

We are in "near drought" conditions. What little rain get is typically a very brief torrential downpour (all runoff, no soaking the ground) accompanied by very high winds and microbursts (trees down). I've seen more hail in the last few years than in my whole previous life. I have to believe climate change is real.

I've been trying to establish a lawn from scratch. There's as much bare spots as there is grass. And much of the grass planted in early spring is now a nice crispy brown.

My unheated/cooled basement "brew room" is at 70 degrees. Not too bad in comparison to others here. I just wish it had a duct were I would close off the heating in winter when it's naturally the low 60's in that room and open for A/C in the summer to keep it a little cooler.

And Chevette Girl, it's about time the USA converted to the metric system, like the rest of the world. Then we would have no need for conversion factors. But that's a whole 'nother topic...

Chevette Girl
07-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Well, the rain we got was violent to wake me up this morning (~5 am when the wind kicked up) but it only lasted about 20 minutes... hopefully we get more today before it's completely dried out what little may have soaked in, the only thing green in any lawn anymore is weeds... it's calling for t-storms all day (yet still hitting 34) so hopefully that does the trick. It's just after 8 am and my living room is already 28 degrees.

Oh, hey! It just started sprinkling!! Yayyyy!!! May it keep sprinkling long enough to dampen the ground so later thunderstorms don't just overload our crappy sewer system... <does a raindance>

skunkboy
07-17-2012, 01:06 PM
I think that I would just describe SE Michigan lately as melty :)

Noe Palacios
07-17-2012, 03:49 PM
https://picasaweb.google.com/113792555809326168344/SanGabrielDeLosPalacios?authkey=Gv1sRgCJuq1oj2gv7F HA#5766225706027787778

TheAlchemist
07-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Ah ha oh yes please let the rain come down...

Midnight Sun
07-17-2012, 08:28 PM
I wish I could trade a few degrees with others, Anchorage is on track for the coldest July since they started keeping records in the 1950's. >:( Average temp for the first 12 days 52.8F (11.5C). There is still snow in parts of the Chugach Mountains and some of the lakes at higher elevations remain partially frozen. Generally I can completely turn my heater off for a few months during the summer, but not this year.

I would also gladly send anyone rain, got plenty of it here!

dingurth
07-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Note to self: move to Alaska

Midnight Sun
07-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Note to self: move to Alaska

Come up, there is certainly room for one more! The weather in Anchorage is moderate, but the monkey wrench is our daylight cycles. Sunset tonight is at 11:12 and sunrise this morning was at 4:56 for a total of 18 hours, 15 min of daylight. Within a month either side of the winter solstice, we'll get less than 6 hours of daylight. After a few years you'll be used to it.

Chevette Girl
07-18-2012, 01:07 AM
It was 34 today but now it's 28 degrees in my living room, my rabbit's ears are NOT hot like they've been for pretty much the last two weeks solid, I'm not sweating, I even got goosebumps earlier today... but it rained south of here, not here. Arghh. Although it was kind of exciting, I was south of here when the storm hit and got to see a tree fall. Well, ok, not quite, I saw it land beside the window I was near in the shop. Heard it scrape some shingles off the edge of the roof. They got a good downpour that actually soaked the soil. Ottawa, however, has not gotten the promised rain. :mad:

PitBull
07-18-2012, 06:34 AM
I wish I could trade a few degrees with others, Anchorage is on track for the coldest July since they started keeping records in the 1950's. >:( Average temp for the first 12 days 52.8F (11.5C). There is still snow in parts of the Chugach Mountains and some of the lakes at higher elevations remain partially frozen. Generally I can completely turn my heater off for a few months during the summer, but not this year.

I would also gladly send anyone rain, got plenty of it here!
We'd be happy to share quite a few degrees with you, especially this year. Pittsburgh's norm for days reacing 90 degrees is 7 per year. Today will make 18, with over half of the summer still to come.

A few years ago, I was fortunate(?) enough to get a business trip to Delta Junction, Alaska in February. The temperature was -38 F (-36 C) when we left our "hotel" in the morning. The rental SUV had a thermometer built in and we hit -40 F (-40 C) a few times on the way to the airport.

I'd love a trip to Alaska in the summer. Maybe a whale watching cruise in a couple of years!

TheAlchemist
07-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Huge glacier calving in Greenland.

Yep

Mother Earth has a fever.

Davik
07-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Had a pretty big thunderstorm yesterday afternoon, so N Florida has cooled down to a high of 87F today. Currently 83F and it feels great outside.

Chevette Girl
07-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Yep, having my living room at 27 C is downright pleasant... actually needed to put on sheets last night against the lovely breeze coming in the front window :) If only we'd gotten that rain they'd promised. And ify ou can imagine, the City is advising people to water their lawns. Apparently our water supply isn't badly affected so far, and they don't want another brush fire.

dingurth
07-18-2012, 04:51 PM
It was cloudy this morning and there was rain in the forecast so I thought things would cool down today. WRONG! After a torrential downpour, the sun came back out. Now it's 93F with humidity at 90+% so it feels like its in the hundreds.

And I have no AC... kill me now...

Midnight Sun
07-19-2012, 01:37 AM
...A few years ago, I was fortunate(?) enough to get a business trip to Delta Junction, Alaska in February. The temperature was -38 F (-36 C) when we left our "hotel" in the morning. The rental SUV had a thermometer built in and we hit -40 F (-40 C) a few times on the way to the airport.

I'd love a trip to Alaska in the summer. Maybe a whale watching cruise in a couple of years!

Ha, yes, those folks living in Delta are nothing short of crazy! I lived in Fairbanks for 3 years and that was bad enough.

Early summer (May-June) is the best time, at least for Anchorage; that is when we tend to have lots of sunny days. Aug-Sep are crummy weather-wise, so I don't recommend those months. Late April to mid May is the best time for the grey whales, I think.

My wife's dad grew up in Warren, PA. We visited extended family there a few years ago and I wanted to stop in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Alas, not enough time. Someday. Nice area with a lot of interesting history.

Vance G
07-22-2012, 11:15 PM
How is the icepack this year? Is climate changing enough so Nome can get sea shipments in?

Penguinetti
07-23-2012, 09:07 PM
I think we've been two weeks now with daytime temperatures not lower than the 30's, mid to high 30's with the humidex, it's probably been a month since the last good rain we had, we're technically in a stage 2 drought in Ottawa and even had our own nasty brush fire recently... I've been drinking ice water, sitting in front of a fan and putting ice packs under my rabbit's cage... how's everyone else doing?

I'm just thankful that it's dropping to the low 20's overnight and my bedroom has windows on two different facings so we can get a cross breeze to cool the room down.

(for you Farenheit folks... 35C=95F, 30C=86F, 27C=80F, 25C=77F)

Yea, we've been between 85 - 100 degrees Fahrenheit up here. And although it's been a bit of a drought, it's been HUMID as all hell...

Oh, and for those who want to do quick math, take the degrees in Celsius, double it, and add 30. That'll give you (roughly) your degrees in Fahrenheit.

Chevette Girl
07-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Well, we finally got a day of light rain... here's hoping for a high-yield thunderstorm now while the ground's damp!

Chevette Girl
07-24-2012, 01:26 AM
Hope the weather, whatever yours is, improves! I'm off for a week to sunny Sudbury to throw myself in a lake as often as I can. And maybe repair/refinish some parts of my car to give me a reason to go jump in the lake...

Penguinetti
07-24-2012, 06:52 AM
That sounds like a lot of fun.

I'll be stuck working on the house while the wife takes the daughter to see the In-laws for a week.

Maybe I'll get that quick-mead batch going during that time...

TheAlchemist
07-24-2012, 09:17 AM
We got some rain overnight, but my rain song-and-dance continues.

Penguinetti
07-24-2012, 09:20 AM
We got a drizzle. But not much, apprently. We could probably use a little more over here...

I know I wouldn't mind.

Midnight Sun
07-24-2012, 04:00 PM
We had some nice warm days last week, but now is back to the regularly scheduled rain and 55F weather. Too bad. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice, though.

How is the icepack this year? Is climate changing enough so Nome can get sea shipments in?

I believe that Nome normally receives ships from mid June though mid October. If you are thinking about the fuel crisis Nome had in January this year, a storm prevented their final shipment sometime early winter. Storms on the Bering Sea are frequent and it is not unheard of for the coastal villages to miss late-season shipments due to weather.

For reference, the oil fields on the North Slope are able to receive cargo ships. The shipping window is greatly reduced compared to Nome, though.

kudapucat
07-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Bloody miserable cold here.
I've given up meadmaking for Charcuterie for a couple of months.
At least the pigs are warm when you dress them.

skunkboy
07-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Yeah, supposed to get thunderstorms for the next two days, and a temps in low to mid 80's, but we haven't gotten most of the rain forcast this summer...

Chevette Girl
08-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Well, we left Sudbury last night driving out of a thunderstorm, and it paced us most of the way home and then didn't follow the rest of the way... and according to the weather reports (and the fact that my balcony boxes still contain plants instead of crunchies), Ottawa did get some rain throughout the week I was gone. I even had a morning glory and some nasturtium blooms greet me when I checked on them this morning! The lawns and park are all still looking pretty brown though...

Mmm, warm tasty pig sounds like a great plan for winter activities...

JimSar
08-03-2012, 06:03 PM
The lawns and park are all still looking pretty brown though...

Yes, Chevette Girl, I just came back from a walk through your Greenbelt trail; many dead trees and brown shrub. Thank goodness for cold Kichesippi Beer ...

Chevette Girl
08-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Nice! What're you doing in the area? Taking advantage of our long weekend? How long are you around for?

JimSar
08-04-2012, 02:07 AM
Nice! What're you doing in the area? Taking advantage of our long weekend? How long are you around for?
Family reunion in Mont Tremblant next week. I have a brother, at least 6 first cousins, and countless other relatives in Ottawa. One of my cousins and his wife own Green Papaya restaurants, so tomorrow we'll have Thai food for dinner.

I didn't know it was a three day weekend here. Small wonder one of my relatives got caught in crazy traffic Friday night from Toronto to Ottawa.

I brought 1.5 liters of mead, maximum allowed without getting into much hassle at customs. :( Spiced apple cider (Trader Joe's) made with honey from our backyard in California. Since I'm from near Napa Valley, your customs agent assumed it was Napa Valley wine. I didn't have the energy nor the inclination to explain what mead is. The less information you volunteer, the better off you are.

Chevette Girl
08-04-2012, 07:01 AM
That's really cool, I've eaten at the Green Papaya at Preston and Gladstone before, it's right around the corner from my dojo (and the better LHBS in the city, DeFalco's, at Gladstone and Loretta)! Nice place, great service.

I've got in-laws from Europe who say the best way to get their homemade spirits across the border is to leave the original labels on the wine bottles :p

kudapucat
08-05-2012, 06:33 AM
I'm a little freaked out.
A restaurant near to where I grew up (not far away from here) is 'The Green Papaya' and I work in Preston.
A quick scan had me thinking you'd come to visit and hadn't told me!!!

That's Preston, Victoria.
Australia (in case Victoria, Canada has a Preston too)

JimSar
08-05-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm a little freaked out.
A restaurant near to where I grew up (not far away from here) is 'The Green Papaya' and I work in Preston.
A quick scan had me thinking you'd come to visit and hadn't told me!!!

That's Preston, Victoria.
Australia (in case Victoria, Canada has a Preston too)
Too funny! I've been to Manila, California, population 784. Nothing like the original concrete and asphalt metropolis.