• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hot hot hot!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I think we've been two weeks now with daytime temperatures not lower than the 30's, mid to high 30's with the humidex, it's probably been a month since the last good rain we had, we're technically in a stage 2 drought in Ottawa and even had our own nasty brush fire recently... I've been drinking ice water, sitting in front of a fan and putting ice packs under my rabbit's cage... how's everyone else doing?

Even my basement's around 27 degrees, so no D47 for me...

I'm just thankful that it's dropping to the low 20's overnight and my bedroom has windows on two different facings so we can get a cross breeze to cool the room down.

(for you Farenheit folks... 35C=95F, 30C=86F, 27C=80F, 25C=77F)

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
We were supposed to get a storm yesterday but though some areas got a cloudburst, all we got was some ominous rumbling... Mother Nature's such a tease...

More t-storms forecast overnight and tomorrow, here's hoping...

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Welcome to my normal summer :)

Well, yes, but you expect that, you're in Florida!... and you also don't have to contend with winters that spend a good bit of time below -20C (-5F)!

And my basement really only gets warmer than 22C or so because we have 2 computers down there and it's my husband's man cave...

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Actually, it's not so bad here. We're definitely using the a/c, but only to keep it below 80 F in the house. We thought we'd be much more wimpy our first summer out of CA. Hopefully this bodes well for winter too.

Got some rain yesterday, it's only been in the high 80s (although forecasted mid-90s later this week). Technically I think it's a drought here still, but the corn is still getting taller so it can't be that bad.

The new house (maybe? next week?) has a rather cold basement. Feeling pretty darn lucky over here. :D

Yo momma

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 14, 2007
Flint, Michigan
Here in Michigan, our normal is 80 degrees, its been close if not over 100 degrees for a month with no rain. My grass looks like sand and crunches like cereal. No brewing until the temps get to around 70.

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
The last couple of months in the Pittsburgh area have been brutal. It has constantly reached 90 and often approached 100. So far this year we've reached or exceeded 90 degrees 16 times, plus today and tomorrow will add two more days to that total. The humidity is quite high, which is the norm in southwestern PA. The average high at the hottest time of the year is 83 degrees (according to Accuweather).

We are in "near drought" conditions. What little rain get is typically a very brief torrential downpour (all runoff, no soaking the ground) accompanied by very high winds and microbursts (trees down). I've seen more hail in the last few years than in my whole previous life. I have to believe climate change is real.

I've been trying to establish a lawn from scratch. There's as much bare spots as there is grass. And much of the grass planted in early spring is now a nice crispy brown.

My unheated/cooled basement "brew room" is at 70 degrees. Not too bad in comparison to others here. I just wish it had a duct were I would close off the heating in winter when it's naturally the low 60's in that room and open for A/C in the summer to keep it a little cooler.

And Chevette Girl, it's about time the USA converted to the metric system, like the rest of the world. Then we would have no need for conversion factors. But that's a whole 'nother topic...

Last edited:

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Well, the rain we got was violent to wake me up this morning (~5 am when the wind kicked up) but it only lasted about 20 minutes... hopefully we get more today before it's completely dried out what little may have soaked in, the only thing green in any lawn anymore is weeds... it's calling for t-storms all day (yet still hitting 34) so hopefully that does the trick. It's just after 8 am and my living room is already 28 degrees.

Oh, hey! It just started sprinkling!! Yayyyy!!! May it keep sprinkling long enough to dampen the ground so later thunderstorms don't just overload our crappy sewer system... <does a raindance>

Midnight Sun

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
I wish I could trade a few degrees with others, Anchorage is on track for the coldest July since they started keeping records in the 1950's. :mad: Average temp for the first 12 days 52.8F (11.5C). There is still snow in parts of the Chugach Mountains and some of the lakes at higher elevations remain partially frozen. Generally I can completely turn my heater off for a few months during the summer, but not this year.

I would also gladly send anyone rain, got plenty of it here!

Midnight Sun

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
Note to self: move to Alaska

Come up, there is certainly room for one more! The weather in Anchorage is moderate, but the monkey wrench is our daylight cycles. Sunset tonight is at 11:12 and sunrise this morning was at 4:56 for a total of 18 hours, 15 min of daylight. Within a month either side of the winter solstice, we'll get less than 6 hours of daylight. After a few years you'll be used to it.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
It was 34 today but now it's 28 degrees in my living room, my rabbit's ears are NOT hot like they've been for pretty much the last two weeks solid, I'm not sweating, I even got goosebumps earlier today... but it rained south of here, not here. Arghh. Although it was kind of exciting, I was south of here when the storm hit and got to see a tree fall. Well, ok, not quite, I saw it land beside the window I was near in the shop. Heard it scrape some shingles off the edge of the roof. They got a good downpour that actually soaked the soil. Ottawa, however, has not gotten the promised rain. :mad:

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I wish I could trade a few degrees with others, Anchorage is on track for the coldest July since they started keeping records in the 1950's. :mad: Average temp for the first 12 days 52.8F (11.5C). There is still snow in parts of the Chugach Mountains and some of the lakes at higher elevations remain partially frozen. Generally I can completely turn my heater off for a few months during the summer, but not this year.

I would also gladly send anyone rain, got plenty of it here!
We'd be happy to share quite a few degrees with you, especially this year. Pittsburgh's norm for days reacing 90 degrees is 7 per year. Today will make 18, with over half of the summer still to come.

A few years ago, I was fortunate(?) enough to get a business trip to Delta Junction, Alaska in February. The temperature was -38° F (-36° C) when we left our "hotel" in the morning. The rental SUV had a thermometer built in and we hit -40° F (-40° C) a few times on the way to the airport.

I'd love a trip to Alaska in the summer. Maybe a whale watching cruise in a couple of years!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns