PDA

View Full Version : acceptable acidity T.A. levels

illuveatar
07-16-2012, 05:06 PM
I've got a stuck mead that I've been monitoring for the last few days. I'll post the recipe if requested but my first question is what are the acceptable levels of acidity TA for yeast to survive comfortably ?

I didn't realize that %TA couldn't be converted to pH and haven't seen any advice regarding %TA levels. I don't currently have a way to test for pH. My measured must is ~.7% acid expressed as tartaric.

I'm using Montrachet wine yeast if that helps at all.

akueck
07-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Mead doesn't work well with TA measurements. The titration technique can't handle the gluconolactone-gluconic acid equilibrium in honey musts. You can look up some good info here on the forum from author McFeeley to learn all about it.

So...there is no TA number we can give you. The best is to find a way to measure pH.

illuveatar
07-16-2012, 10:49 PM
I doubt I'll get a chance to buy any pH testing strips in the next few days. How long is it safe to let sit stalled out ? The OG was ~1.12 and it's down to around 1.03 now. It was stuck at 1.04 for a few days and so I added a pinch of yeast nutrient and energizer, I didn't measure the amount but I would guess it was less than 1/8 tsp in 5.5 gallons of must. This seemed to help the yeast a bit but it's been sitting at 1.03 for three days now. I added a 1/4 tsp energizer today and I'll check it again in a couple days but I'm still curious about the pH. Oh, and it's going to be a melomel but I'm adding the fruit in the secondary so for now it's just a traditional honey, yeast, water, nutrients.

Chevette Girl
07-17-2012, 12:06 AM
As long as it's not making stink, you're probably OK for a few days...