• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Colorado

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Thanks for posting, Alchemist... I wanted to say something too but couldn't come up with the words... there have been a number of (much smaller scale) shootings in Ontario in the last week, it's pretty scary out there.

My thoughts are with anyone who's been affected by violence...

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Yet another one of this type of occurrence, that makes the international news. Bringing a sense of sorrow, and a lack of comprehension.

After all, I understand that the Western country with the highest level of gun possession, has the lowest gun death rate, so why does this happen in the US with such apparent regularity ?

And no, the country with the highest gun possession isn't the US.....

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
I wanted to say something too but couldn't come up with the words... there have been a number of shootings in Ontario in the last week, it's pretty scary out there.

My thoughts are with anyone who's been affected by violence...

It's interesting.

For the past several weeks my spinning song has been "Ah ha, Oh yes. Please let the rain come down..."

Today, with no explanation from the Universe that I heretofore understood, the song changed to:

What the world needs now is love, sweet love.

I have been singing this song all day.

It was not until I read your post that I began to understand why.

Thank you.

This is one small part of why I have you(and this forum, thank you Vicki and Petar) in my life.

Deacon Aegis

NewBee
Registered Member
Yet another one of this type of occurrence, that makes the international news. Bringing a sense of sorrow, and a lack of comprehension.

After all, I understand that the Western country with the highest level of gun possession, has the lowest gun death rate, so why does this happen in the US with such apparent regularity ?

And no, the country with the highest gun possession isn't the US.....

I am going to avoid getting into political positions as I have a pretty fierce opinion on gun possession as a southern boy who grew up in Texas in a conservative household. All I am going to say is that it is said that an "Armed Society is a Polite Society".

Unfortunately here, the politics and extremes of opinions and positions is overly complex and often tied into a vast array of other ideals and beliefs. Babylon is not burning yet, but we are certainly one step closer to Rome here in the U.S. at this point... Bleh...

Vance G

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2011
Great Falls Montana
264 gun murders in Chicago this year to date with as tight a gun control as anyplace in the county. Also if you could refresh me, What caliber did Ted Kazanski or the Oklahoma City bomber use? One or two concealed carries in that theatre would have caused a different ending with a lot less carnage. If shot at, he would have turned and ran like the coward he is.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
All I am going to say is that it is said that an "Armed Society is a Polite Society".

I'm sorry to say it, but I think it works a lot better in Switzerland than in the US because they're all trained with their weapons and everyone KNOWS everyone else is trained with their weapons... according to wikipedia, there are 88 guns per 100 people in the US and Switzerland only has 45 guns per 100... and I'm also gonna leave that political discussion for another thread. I have friends here who feel strongly both ways and all their points are valid.

And Vance, maybe this guy was counting on not living through the experience but couldn't end it himself like so many other perpetrators of senseless crimes like this? I may well be wrong, but I have specifically not been looking for information on the shooter, just the victims. They deserve to be remembered, this piece of garbage does not.

Deacon Aegis

NewBee
Registered Member
And Vance, maybe this guy was counting on not living through the experience but couldn't end it himself like so many other perpetrators of senseless crimes like this? I may well be wrong, but I have specifically not been looking for information on the shooter, just the victims. They deserve to be remembered, this piece of garbage does not.

Amen to that!

I agree about the firearm training. I think good training in both safety and in handling are a good idea. Privelages should always be balanced with responsibility. No argument there. ;)

Penguinetti

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2011
Eliot, ME
I am going to avoid getting into political positions as I have a pretty fierce opinion on gun possession as a southern boy who grew up in Texas in a conservative household. All I am going to say is that it is said that an "Armed Society is a Polite Society".

Unfortunately here, the politics and extremes of opinions and positions is overly complex and often tied into a vast array of other ideals and beliefs. Babylon is not burning yet, but we are certainly one step closer to Rome here in the U.S. at this point... Bleh...

What he said... except I'm not from Texas. And I'm not conservative. But everything else. Right there with you.

Also, speaking of violence, it's in the news now that the fire started at my work was because the the guy who started it wanted to get out of work early and he had anxiety.

Vance G

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2011
Great Falls Montana
I do not understand why it matters whether the sicko intended to live, I just wish there would have been a free armed man or women there to stop him. PETA does not throw blood on the leather being worn by bikers! He would not now be reveling in all the attention. Now he is claiming amnesia and I want to puke at the pictures of the large eyed waif shown by the media. I would like to some way inject him with bone cancer and let him have time to think about it while not medicating him. All the attention being given him is just fueling the next one.

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
How ever unlikely it may seem that a Sikh may make or drink mead, my heart goes out to all the families affected by another shooting tragedy.

I know there are plenty of Mazers in the SE Wisconsin area and my thoughts are turning to you all, hoping for the safety and well being of you and your loved ones.

Penguinetti

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2011
Eliot, ME
How ever unlikely it may seem that a Sikh may make or drink mead, my heart goes out to all the families affected by another shooting tragedy.

I know there are plenty of Mazers in the SE Wisconsin area and my thoughts are turning to you all, hoping for the safety and well being of you and your loved ones.

The most ironic part about all of this is that the shooter apparently was targeting what he thought was muslims, and he had a 9/11 tattoo. If he was doing this for '9/11 retribution', wouldn't he eventually realize he just killed more Americans 'in the name of America'.

Kind of counterintuitive, if you ask me.

Whatshisface

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2012
Michigan
The most ironic part about all of this is that the shooter apparently was targeting what he thought was muslims, and he had a 9/11 tattoo. If he was doing this for '9/11 retribution', wouldn't he eventually realize he just killed more Americans 'in the name of America'.

Kind of counterintuitive, if you ask me.

Yeah, looking for any logic in this mess has to be frivolous.

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
On the subject of logic, how likely is it for anyone in the Sikh community to have a concealed carry license? And how much water does an argument favoring concealed carry as a theoretical preventer of such tragedies hold in this particular tragedy?

Penguinetti

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2011
Eliot, ME
Personally I think more people should carry concealed weapons. ESPECIALLY those people who don't want them, for these reasons:

1) If more people conceal carry, there would be a higher probability that when something tragic like this happens, there would be somebody who can stop it before it gets too bad.

2) Typically the people who don't want guns are those who wouldn't use one. So should an argument occur, there is less likelihood that one of these people would abuse the power of carrying. HOWEVER, like in statement 1 above, they would have the capacity of stopping tragic events from escalading so; and if they realise this truth, then the potential for them to use during a crisis situation would rise.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I don't know about that. I'd be on the "don't want a gun" side and because it's not something I would think about very often, it's be much like my car's horn, "Aww, crap, I should have honked just then, but I was too busy reacting." If it wasn't hard-wired into my reactions like some martial arts things are finally starting to be, it woudn't occur to me to pull a firearm and use it. Which is why if you're gonna carry, you should have and maintain good training with it. Someone pulls out a gun and starts firing, I think my reaction would be to hit the ground, if I'm exceedingly lucky and don't just freeze like a deer in the headlights. Besides, no matter who they were or what they were doing, though I do enjoy target shooting, I think I'd be severely messed up if I had to kill a person, and though it's probably better than being dead and letting them kill more people, the guilt of hitting (or missing and either hurting someone else or not saving the innocents because I didn't take out the target) sounds pretty scary. It's not a responsiblitily I think I can handle, and I can't be the only person who feels this way. <shrug>

It's just really irritating when the supposed gun controls let whackos legally purchase firearms like this. Because either the whacko in question can hide that they're a whacko long enough to get their firearm legally, or becuase criminals don't use legally-obtained firearms...

Last edited:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns