PDA

View Full Version : Approaching 1/3 sugar break -- should I add nutrient?

mediaguru
07-27-2012, 04:02 AM
I used 2 tsp of nutrient when starting primary fermentation, and have aerated about once per day. I've seen good results, getting fermentation started within 12 hours and then continuing to drop 0.06 SG every 24 hours for the past few days (at 65 degrees temp). This means it is less than 24 hours until 1/3 of sugars have been converted, so I will give one more aeration in the morning and then let it do its thing under airlock for the next 2-3 weeks.

However, I was wondering if I should add any more nutrient at this 1/3 point to help it along? My nutrient is Nutriferm Advance, a blend of yeast cells/ghosts with some DAP and a small amount of magnesium

Riverat
07-27-2012, 06:45 AM
Short answer, this would be the time for your last nutrient addition
Not so short answer...it depends...
Not knowing the details (volume in particular) I would be clueless, do a quick search on SNA, staggered nutrient addition or just nutrient and you should bring up a wealth of info.

fatbloke
07-27-2012, 09:33 AM
See, a typical example of incorrect data, or incorrectly quoted.....

If its dropping about 6 points a day a.k.a.0.006, then its not that quick, so would be worth adding some nutrient after the 1/3rd break aeration.

Whereas, if its dropping at 0.060, which is 60 points a day, then that'd be very quick and it'd just be a case of airlocking and leaving it too finish.

It's best to always quote gravity readings to 3 decimal points, not 2 as that makes for the wrong advice.

mediaguru
07-27-2012, 01:01 PM
See, a typical example of incorrect data, or incorrectly quoted.....

If its dropping about 6 points a day a.k.a.0.006, then its not that quick, so would be worth adding some nutrient after the 1/3rd break aeration.

Whereas, if its dropping at 0.060, which is 60 points a day, then that'd be very quick and it'd just be a case of airlocking and leaving it too finish.

It's best to always quote gravity readings to 3 decimal points, not 2 as that makes for the wrong advice.

Thank you, sorry I miswrote that. Yes, it took 4 days to drop from 1.100 to 1.071, so I'm getting roughly 0.007 per day (and it has been fairly constant... I've been measuring almost every 24 hours on the dot)

As for volume, it is 5 gallons.

Looks like I will add some nutrient and aerate one last time this afternoon before filling up the airlock and crossing my fingers...

fatbloke
07-28-2012, 03:20 AM
Thank you, sorry I miswrote that. Yes, it took 4 days to drop from 1.100 to 1.071, so I'm getting roughly 0.007 per day (and it has been fairly constant... I've been measuring almost every 24 hours on the dot)

As for volume, it is 5 gallons.

Looks like I will add some nutrient and aerate one last time this afternoon before filling up the airlock and crossing my fingers...
Excellent. Following the theory, the aeration and nutrient should do the job for you.

I didn't mean to sound "picky" (and yes, after I re-read my post, it could easily have seemed like that). I just find myself becoming a "dot the i's and cross the t's" grammar and punctuation pedant as I get older. Plus, like others (I've noticed) try for short and "to the point" answers, especially when answering via a smartphone. Anything longer can be a PITA to input......

Kelvin
07-28-2012, 04:10 AM
Grammar Nazis unite! Sieg Fatbloke!!!!!!!!

Kelvin
07-28-2012, 04:15 AM
this is a joke btw.... It was not ment to offend anyone in Europe... I dunno about others but in my circles it's not a huge thing here in the US. I didn't mean to offend if I did.

fatbloke
07-28-2012, 05:53 AM
this is a joke btw.... It was not meant to offend anyone in Europe... I dunno about others but in my circles it's not a huge thing here in the US. I didn't mean to offend if I did.
Not me, you didn't.

I just find that if things are grammatically correct and punctuated properly, there's less room for the mis-interpretation of text that I've seen in some places, leading to flaming etc.

It's easily forgotten, that so much of our communication is visual. Lynne Truss (http://www.lynnetruss.com/) has a point......

Kelvin
07-30-2012, 12:03 AM
Hah, thanks for correcting my spelling : )

Chevette Girl
08-06-2012, 12:50 AM
I didn't mean to sound "picky" (and yes, after I re-read my post, it could easily have seemed like that). I just find myself becoming a "dot the i's and cross the t's" grammar and punctuation pedant as I get older. Plus, like others (I've noticed) try for short and "to the point" answers, especially when answering via a smartphone. Anything longer can be a PITA to input......

<grin> obviously not my problem over here! Ten fingers beats two thumbs! And I'd rather use too many words and get my point across properly than too few and be misunderstood (yes, I know it shows:p).

I like your term "grammar and punctuation pedant" better than "Grammar Nazi" which I am often called as well... I do try not to call attention to others' spelling or punctuation lapses though, even though sometimes it makes me grit my teeth... I never know who's got what learning disability or whether it was just a typo (I catch my own fingers messing up to/too/two and then/than more often than I like to admit, nevermind actual typos like jsut and hte) so as long as I can understand the person and they use full words and not leetspeak or texting contractions, I will politely ignore most other abuses of the written word ... Plus, I take my own liberties with the language (like constant use of sentence fragments and overuse of brackets and ellipses...), so it'd be hypocritical to harp on others...

Soyala_Amaya
08-06-2012, 12:58 PM
I just hate it when my brain is faster than my fingers and I completely miss a word. It'll sound just fine and even look just fine at a glance, but a day later I read it and there's a blank! I know what I meant and others can kind of figure it out, but it is highly annoying to me.

Mikeymu
12-11-2012, 01:45 PM
So what would be the 1/3 sugar break if you started with SG 1.090 but yeast tolerance of 14% abv? (given that if it finished at 1.000 you would have 13% abv)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it fermented to dry at 0.990 then would the 1/3 sugar break be at 1.057 rather than 1.060?

Would it be likely to finish at 0.990 if conditions right?

fatbloke
12-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Yes, you're entirely correct. Yet there's little point in being too anal with accuracy. As long as you're close then that's probably fine.

The difference of 3 points might be a whole day for a slow brew but equally if it's a rapid ferment you'd have to be watching the numbers like a hawk to catch the exact point....

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Mikeymu
12-11-2012, 02:13 PM
Thanks. Well this is where the present batch is or thereabouts. It's gone just past the 1/3 and so far have added 2 teaspoons tronozymol and 1/3 teaspoon Young's at three different points. Using D-47, which I believe copes well with low nutrient levels.

Yeah, not much of a difference 3 points.