PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question RE Cherry Mead

Atlas1
08-04-2012, 07:09 PM
i am going to make a 1 gallon cherry mead using 3# Ambrosia honey, a can of Oregon Cherries in heavy syrup, and Champagne yeast (which I will use potassium sorbate to kill so I can back-sweeten with another can of Oregon cherries and honey). My question is whether or not I need to expect a large krausen. I made a blueberry mead much the same way and ended up with a huge mess. I'm hoping to avoid that this time. Thanks

Kelvin
08-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Check this thread out. http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20241 This is a thread I started just yesterday and it was not the first time that fruit gave me crazy foaming problems. But at the end you will see I got some anti-foam from my local homebrew store. OMG! It rocks. It works like magic. I just couldn't believe it. I dunno the cons to it because I am still waiting for a reply but I can you that stuff works wonders. Good luck man.

delvorak
08-04-2012, 08:24 PM
What brand is the anti foam stuff?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Kelvin
08-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Uh most of the stuff from my local brew shop is white labeled but it says Foam Control (FermCapS) from MoreFlavor Inc. , California.

Riverat
08-05-2012, 09:52 AM
I haven't used them in years but when I did I had no negative issues at all, used them in my earlier ales, they did the job and had no impact on flavour or head retention. Never used them in mead but some here have and I don't recall anyone having concerns.