PDA

View Full Version : mead with a slight haze after in bottle for a year

slimslam
08-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Hey guys i have a small issue. I bottles a traditional mead about a year ago and i was crystal clear for a long time. now i noticed a haze in soem of the bottles. its not a "moving haze" if you move the bottle around. the bottles where stored upright which i know is bad but im using twin disc corks and was told they are good for 3 years. any thoughts ???

thanks
Slimslam

Yo momma
08-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Taste it? Is it sparkling now? No seditment? More details plz. :)

slimslam
08-06-2012, 06:18 PM
taste is fine, its not a continued fermentation problem, its been sorbated and sparkloided and it was fine in the bottles for months. its a very slight haze you can see through. im thinking that wiht it being stored upright some sort of oxidation might have happened but have never seen it so im unsure of what to look for. oh and only dusting of sediment on the bottem but i always have some as i only coarse filter when i bottle

Chevette Girl
08-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Is the haze in the mead or on the bottle? (I've had a few batches drop tannins onto the inside of the bottle and another I'm sure was clear when I bottled it isn't anymore but it tastes fine so I drink it anyway)

slimslam
08-06-2012, 08:49 PM
the haze is in the mead bottle is clear.

Medsen Fey
08-12-2012, 03:28 PM
If it isn't renewed fermentation (stable gravity), you may just have some protein instability (despite the Sparkolloid) perhaps exacerbated by some of the extreme temps this year. If so, it will probably drop out as sediment eventually.

If you provide recipe details, we may be able to say more.

By the way, the twin top corks should be fine for aging several years without problems.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2