PDA

View Full Version : Ken Schramm - Surgery update

Oskaar
08-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Ken is out of surgery and the doctors are please with Ken's status and they advise the the surgery went well and he's on the road to recovery.

Best wishes to Ken on a speedy recovery.

Cheers,

Pete "Oskaar" Bakulic

Yo momma
08-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Very nice to here. Skunkboy and I was talking bout that and was curious how he was doing. Thanks for the update.

Deacon Aegis
08-08-2012, 03:41 PM
We're all hoping and praying for a speedy recovery for Ken on this end as well!

Soyala_Amaya
08-08-2012, 03:54 PM
It's always nice to have an update online, it's often forgotten in keeping family and close friends aware of what's going on. Thank you.

TheAlchemist
08-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Thanks for keeping us posted.
Godspeed Ken's recovery.

kudapucat
08-08-2012, 07:26 PM
I didn't know he went under the knife!
Get well soon mate!

Penguinetti
08-08-2012, 09:05 PM
I didn't know he went under the knife!
Get well soon mate!

Ditto.

Take care, Ken. Think of those redheads, it should make the time fly by. ;D

skunkboy
08-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Many wishes for a speedy recovery!

fatbloke
08-09-2012, 03:10 AM
Excellent. Glad to hear it went well.

Quick recovery etc......

regards

fatbloke

Bob J
08-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Best wishes Ken for a fast recovery.... Much appreciate the update!

wildoates
08-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Let's hear it for Facebook!

The last few weeks I've had an astonishing number friends or their family members undergo serious health issues, and FB is a great way to keep track of everyone's progress. And on a sadder note, last year a friend chronicled her husband's losing battle with lung cancer so we'd all know what was going on without having to constantly pester her. It's so much easier on everyone.

Get well soon, Ken! I am happy that you got your diagnosis and had surgery within a week and even happier that you came out of it with flying colors so far. Keep up the good work!

ken_schramm
08-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Enough of Facebook, here's love for the mead community, and just the mead community.

I was going along great ("you're doing fantastic Mr. Schramm. You're ahead of Schedule!"), and the night before I was supposed to be discharged (Sunday), I went into Atrial Fib, and that set things back just nicely. They needed to adjust the blood chem, make sure I wouldn't clot, and have to keep me out of A-Fib for 24 hours before they will let me go home. I'm hoping that's tomorrow, so I don't have to forward the mail.

I miss being active, I'm really craving a glass of mead, beer or wine, and I want to sleep in my own bed, but this is stuff to take seriously, so I don't have much choice.

Thanks for all the support. It is much appreciated.

Yours,
Ken

veritas
08-15-2012, 05:14 PM
Hang in there! Hope you get home soon!

TheAlchemist
08-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the up-date.
I am sending healing thoughts your way.
Bummer about the a fib. It makes caution more necessary with respect to alcohol intake...alcohol "embarrasses the heart" as they say...

Riverat
08-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Keep that attitude positive, listen to the Doc's and know we're all pulling for a solid recovery (that whole listen to the Doc thing) and we're looking forward to seeing that Meadery grow!

Vandall
08-15-2012, 09:54 PM
We will be keeping you in our prayers.

Penguinetti
08-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Que dios te bendiga.

TheAlchemist
09-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Sooooo?
How are you, Ken?
How's the Rehab goin'?

ken_schramm
09-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Cardiac rehab starts in a week or so. My surgeon, the cardiologist and the rehab place collaborate on a plan of attack, and then line me up with a schedule.

My chest still hurts, and I can't lift much of anything or go like gangbusters, but I am getting stronger and felling more like me. No fevers, no arrhythmias, BP is low, and the other vitals are fine. The only drag is I'm down 20 lbs; I had a little to spare, but probably not 20 lbs. I can walk about a mile and a half now, two or three times a day (slowly - I look like a geezer next to the folks who move like I did two months ago). The surgeon said, "walk further and take more naps." So far, I'm doing much better at the former than the latter.

I have to find out from work if I will be able to keep any of my vacation days so that I can make it to the Mazer Cup. The surgeon gave me an authorized return date that is a lot further out than I thought it would be.

Thanks for your concern. That's enough about me. We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion about how to make better mead, and who and what to drink it with.

Vance G
09-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Hang in there Mr. Schramm. I can sympathize on the heart. For no particular reason, A virus took mine out nine years ago this fall. Coming back from surgery was a bear. I gained lots of weight that I can't get off now. But, I went from pending approval for a transplant list to about 30% function now without one. Surgery takes time to recover from. Hang in there and work the program.

wayneb
09-08-2012, 11:42 AM
From what I've seen of friends/relatives who've gone through the process, you now trade "baby steps" for the long, slow slog. Here's hoping that you'll be back to your old energy level by Christmas - or at least by the next MCI! ;D

Medsen Fey
09-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Cardiac rehab starts in a week or so. My surgeon, the cardiologist and the rehab place collaborate on a plan of attack...

Attack. That's a good word. :)
I'm of the opinion that physical therapists are the same folks who used to staff dungeons and torture chambers during the dark ages. Since those establishments have gone out of business, the staff had to be retrained. Now they get the joy of inflicting all that pain, but it serves a great purpose in improving health. :D

I hope your recovery continues smoothly.

Medsen

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TheAlchemist
09-09-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm of the opinion that physical therapists are the same folks who used to staff dungeons and torture chambers during the dark ages...

I prefer to think of them as Personal Trainers That Are Paid By Your Health Insurance...

Vance G
11-12-2012, 11:18 PM
Hey how about an update! Is my hero recovered or dead or too busy to spit working on his meadery? Enquiring minds want to know.

K5MOW
11-13-2012, 07:26 AM
I hope you continue to get better. I am praying for you.

Roger

akueck
11-13-2012, 06:52 PM
The Schramm meadery facebook page is active. Sounds like things are going well.

ken_schramm
12-30-2012, 08:54 PM
I sure don't want to sound ungrateful, but I am living a pretty regular life these days. Maybe it's time to un-stick this thread?

I am very thankful for everyone's well wishes. Your support buoyed me during my recovery.

Ken

kudapucat
12-30-2012, 09:08 PM
That is the best news Ken!
Should you feel this way, then I agree! Congrats on being alive and healthy. Let's unstick it and get on with making mead!
Good luck with the Schramm Meadery.

Riverat
01-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Great to hear you're up an going!