• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Ken Schramm - Surgery update

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Ken is out of surgery and the doctors are please with Ken's status and they advise the the surgery went well and he's on the road to recovery.

Best wishes to Ken on a speedy recovery.

Cheers,

Pete "Oskaar" Bakulic

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
It's always nice to have an update online, it's often forgotten in keeping family and close friends aware of what's going on. Thank you.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Let's hear it for Facebook!

The last few weeks I've had an astonishing number friends or their family members undergo serious health issues, and FB is a great way to keep track of everyone's progress. And on a sadder note, last year a friend chronicled her husband's losing battle with lung cancer so we'd all know what was going on without having to constantly pester her. It's so much easier on everyone.

Get well soon, Ken! I am happy that you got your diagnosis and had surgery within a week and even happier that you came out of it with flying colors so far. Keep up the good work!

ken_schramm

The Compleat Sybarite
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Jan 5, 2005
Troy, MI
Enough of Facebook, here's love for the mead community, and just the mead community.

I was going along great ("you're doing fantastic Mr. Schramm. You're ahead of Schedule!"), and the night before I was supposed to be discharged (Sunday), I went into Atrial Fib, and that set things back just nicely. They needed to adjust the blood chem, make sure I wouldn't clot, and have to keep me out of A-Fib for 24 hours before they will let me go home. I'm hoping that's tomorrow, so I don't have to forward the mail.

I miss being active, I'm really craving a glass of mead, beer or wine, and I want to sleep in my own bed, but this is stuff to take seriously, so I don't have much choice.

Thanks for all the support. It is much appreciated.

Yours,
Ken

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
Thanks for the up-date.
I am sending healing thoughts your way.
Bummer about the a fib. It makes caution more necessary with respect to alcohol intake...alcohol "embarrasses the heart" as they say...

ken_schramm

The Compleat Sybarite
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Jan 5, 2005
Troy, MI
Cardiac rehab starts in a week or so. My surgeon, the cardiologist and the rehab place collaborate on a plan of attack, and then line me up with a schedule.

My chest still hurts, and I can't lift much of anything or go like gangbusters, but I am getting stronger and felling more like me. No fevers, no arrhythmias, BP is low, and the other vitals are fine. The only drag is I'm down 20 lbs; I had a little to spare, but probably not 20 lbs. I can walk about a mile and a half now, two or three times a day (slowly - I look like a geezer next to the folks who move like I did two months ago). The surgeon said, "walk further and take more naps." So far, I'm doing much better at the former than the latter.

I have to find out from work if I will be able to keep any of my vacation days so that I can make it to the Mazer Cup. The surgeon gave me an authorized return date that is a lot further out than I thought it would be.

Thanks for your concern. That's enough about me. We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion about how to make better mead, and who and what to drink it with.

Last edited:

Vance G

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2011
Great Falls Montana
Hang in there Mr. Schramm. I can sympathize on the heart. For no particular reason, A virus took mine out nine years ago this fall. Coming back from surgery was a bear. I gained lots of weight that I can't get off now. But, I went from pending approval for a transplant list to about 30% function now without one. Surgery takes time to recover from. Hang in there and work the program.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns