• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

topping off

Barrel Char Wood Products

MeadKitty

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 23, 2012
Shepherdsville, KY
OK, I've read lots of suggestions (some were shot down by the old-timers). Since this is my first batch (brew?), I want to do the best. So, what if I buy commercial mead to use a topper? Or, is vodka best? Or plain water? Or honey/water mixture? Any/all of the above? I'm really confused.

Penguinetti

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2011
Eliot, ME
OK, I've read lots of suggestions (some were shot down by the old-timers). Since this is my first batch (brew?), I want to do the best. So, what if I buy commercial mead to use a topper? Or, is vodka best? Or plain water? Or honey/water mixture? Any/all of the above? I'm really confused.

With my first batch of JAOM, I mixed a honey/water mixture that had the same OG as the must, and mixed that in.

The second batch of JAOMv with Strawberry/Vanilla, I just added water.

I've also been told to sanitize a batch of marbles, and add those into the mix.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Doing your fermentation in a bucket so you have a little extra must by the time you're doing your first racking is also a valid method and the one I generally use.

If I've screwed up my estimation on how much juice my fruit will release when I'm making a mel, typically I'll use honey and water in a ratio to give me the same SG as the initial batch if it's a significant amount that I need to top up, otherwise if it's say a cup for a gallon, I'll just use water, but too much and it can water down your alcohol content and your flavour. I've also used juice or cider. Vodka might be a little harsh.

I don't bother topping up my JAO's most of the time, and even after racking, haven't had a single one ever oxidize on me.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Commercial mead ? Yes that'd work, though it's better if you can get one with at least some of the properties of what's been made or one that you already like (all the commercial ones I've seen here are very i.e. dessert sweet).

Vodka ? Yes that'd also work, but it would slightly reduce the viscosity of what you've made, also it will dry the batch out a bit (both of which can be corrected). It will also mellow with age if it did give you a bit of an "alcohol hot" taste.

Honey/water syrup ? Yes, that also works, but is usually known as a back sweetening mix. You'd have to stabilise with sulphite and sorbate first, because if there's any ability left in the remaining yeast cells (and yes, even if you've got it racked clear, there will be some), then it can start to referment.

The glass marbles trick works, but if you're using a glass fermenter, you have to be vvv careful not to smash the bottom out of it. Plus you'd be surprised how many you may need.

CG's comment about starting a batch in a bucket is valid as it means you can make a batch slightly larger, then once it's dropped a sediment, you can siphon off into a glass carboy/demi-john, and any left over can be run into a plastic pop/soda bottle and put in the fridge, and saved for later for topping up.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Honey/water syrup ? Yes, that also works, but is usually known as a back sweetening mix. You'd have to stabilise with sulphite and sorbate first, because if there's any ability left in the remaining yeast cells (and yes, even if you've got it racked clear, there will be some), then it can start to referment.

Actually, I don't do this to backsweeten, if the yeast are still active and the honey water you add matches the original SG, then when the yeast ferment it out dry (which they should if your batch is only just being racked the first time), you can just use the SG reading as it is to determine alcohol content, no dithering around with volumes or concentration.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns