PDA

View Full Version : Mold in airlock... bad or terrible?

wowbagger
08-09-2012, 09:41 PM
I've got a batch that has been aging in the secondary since early May. While checking to see if the airlock had dried out, I found that greenish-grey mold had grown in the airlock. I cleaned it out and replaced it. Is there any chance this will have little or no detrimental effect on the mead?

Chevette Girl
08-09-2012, 10:02 PM
I've had it happen a few times, so far no off-tastes that can be directly traced back to a fuzzy airlock. Does the batch smell like mold? If not you're probably OK.

illuveatar
08-09-2012, 10:12 PM
What did you have in the airlock just water or something else ? I've never had that happen before but I would guess as long as it's only in the airlock and the alcohol content of your mead is above 9% ABV or so you're probably fine. Others may have more insight though. If you're concerned you could always try a sample of your mead, if it's been compromised by little beasties I think you'll know straight away by the nasty smell and taste.

wildoates
08-09-2012, 11:06 PM
I've had it happen too, no problems yet, I just replaced the airlock.

BBBF
08-10-2012, 07:58 AM
I have had mild, fruit flies and vinegar in my airlock. The airlocks did their job and kept it all out of the mead.

wowbagger
08-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Thanks all. No off or odd smells that I can detect. Good. Someone suggested using vodka in the airlock, maybe I'll try that. That should kill those pesky molds, and if it fails, I get vodka right?

fatbloke
08-11-2012, 06:18 AM
Thanks all. No off or odd smells that I can detect. Good. Someone suggested using vodka in the airlock, maybe I'll try that. That should kill those pesky molds, and if it fails, I get vodka right?
I just use water and drop about a 1/4 of a campden tablet into it, which seems to dissolve fine, and so far haven't had any issues....

Any kind of scuzz in the airlock and it gets removed, cleaned, sanitised and refilled with water and campden.....

hepcat
08-11-2012, 04:44 PM
I've started using some Star San with water in my air locks.