• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Back-sweetening a mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

Atlas1

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 15, 2012
Denver, CO
I'm trying to find information on the amount of honey it takes to raise a volume of water a certain number of points. For instance, My gallon batch of mead went from 1.112 to .999 and I would like to stop fermentation (using potassium sorbate) and sweeten it to a semi sweet mead (1.020?) and am curious the amount of honey necessary. Is there a table for this?

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Not that I'm aware of. I just make up a 50/50 honey and water syrup, then take a reading, then add 100-200mls and test again to see where its at.

The above is repeated until I get to the desired level or if it tastes good before I reach the level, I just leave it there.

Don't forget to stabilise the batch first, as you don't want refermentation.

AlphaGenetics

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Could you use the got mead calculator? Hit in your total volume, and your target SG for the back sweetening, and it should spit out how much honey it takes to raise to your target.

Keep in mind any changes in volume that might occur due to the honey you add.. I haven't done the math, but it could be significant enough to change how you calculate the honey needed. And following what fatbloke said, mixing the honey in water first should help with dissolving it properly.

BBBF

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago, Land of Corruption
I use the mead calculator to get close to my desired gravity. Since you fermented to dry, it is as simple as figuring out how much honey you need for a 1.020 batch.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
If you add 1 oz (weight) of honey to 1 cup of liquid, you can take a gravity reading and that will be what you get if you add 1 lb of honey to 1 gal. Then you can make a good estimate of how much you need to add to hit the gravity you want. As a general rule, aim for a lower gravity than your ultimate target so you don't overshoot.

By the way, for a traditional, 1.020 is usually very sweet, but your taste buds will be the final judge. You might want to take 1/2 cup of mead and keep adding honey a little at a time until it suits your tastes, then take a gravity reading. That will give you an idea what gravity you want to aim for.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns