• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Any Houstonians around here?

Barrel Char Wood Products

chiguire

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 27, 2010
Katy, TX
We are currently trying to decide whether or not to take a job offer in Houston. We would be moving there next summer. While we were there for a brief period of time last summer, we are wondering if we want Houston to be a semi-permanent fixture in our future. It seems like everyone wants to hate on that place, and I realize that it is big and hot...

I need people to give there pros and cons input!

jkane

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2010
SE Wisconsin
www.kane1.com
Are you looking for natives, transplants, or escapees? ;)

My wife and I are transplants who escaped. :) Lived there from mid 80's to mid 90's.

It's hot. Don't even think the term dry heat fits. It's a wet heat! 20 seconds after stepping outside you are wet from head to toe.

It does snow, or anyhow it used to. Once or twice a year. Only lasts a day or 2.

The city itself is very nice. The people are great. Downtown used to shut down by 6, but from the loop out things would pick up in it's place.

Some of the best food I ever had was in Houston! :)

I learned how to homebrew there. Bay Area Mastroughnauts. There are also the Foam Rangers on the north side. My first introduction to mead was with the mastroughnauts.

Of course there are also killer bees and fire ants. Arizona likely has them too. Maybe not as many fire ants, but you should be familiar with them. They devoured my dog after it died from a snake bite before I got back home that night to bury it! You couldn't use the yard because it either had ant poison on it, or a dozen fire ant colonies!

Lot's of fond memories of Houston. We lived in a few different parts. Settled northeast on lake houston after kids happened. Still have a piece of land up in Livingston, about an hour north. May spend some time back there some day.

Other than the moist heat and the fire ants, it was a very nice place to live!

chiguire

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 27, 2010
Katy, TX
Are you looking for natives, transplants, or escapees? ;)

All of the above! Thanks for the info.
There are killer bees in Tucson, AZ, but no fire ants. However, I have seen them in action and they are alarming.

Thanks again for writing up your thoughts.
It is almost a done deal that we are going there, but I need some positive reinforcement. ;)

Midnight Sun

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
Sure, I'll hate on it for you! Been through that area twice, once 15 years ago and a second time 7 years ago. Nope, the best paying job couldn't get me to live there. Too hot, too humid, city's too large, and too much pollution. Plus I didn't fit in with the people very well.

Really, the last was a joke. The people did seem pretty nice. That is, until I reminded them that I lived in the largest state in the union :p

Midnight Sun

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
Ok, so one of the engineers in my office moved here from Dallas. When I asked him your question, he claimed that Houston is the armpit of Texas. He says there is surprising little fun to do in a city that size, that it is swampy, and is polluted from the oil refining done there. He did say that Galveston is a 30 minute drive from Houston, but that the beaches were over rated.

jkane

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2010
SE Wisconsin
www.kane1.com
Galveston beaches are 30 minutes away at 100 MPH! :cool: At legal speeds, it's more like 45-60 minutes. Then again, everything is an hour away in Houston. It really is a big place!

I have to agree the party scene was pretty mild. You have to make your own! ;D

They don't call it the breath taking northshore when driving through the east side because of the scenery. That is a literal thing as you hold your breath. :eek: Those refineries stink! There is a paper mill in that area too if I remember right.

Stay north or west for the best and cleanest parts.

The beaches are relative. If compared to the Grand Cayman, they are not so nice. Compared to a muddy bottom lake, they are fantastic. Yeah, the water in the gulf is not the cleanest. It is warm, and the waves are nice for swimming. Relatively speaking, they are not so bad! The east side of Florida is better, hands down of course.

Mars Colonist

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 25, 2010
Mars, obviously
www.facebook.com
Grew up in the Clear Lake area in the late 80's- early 90's; went back and worked at NASA for a few years... my parents still live there. Houston for me will always be hot, humid, urban sprawl with flat scenery; the coastal basin of Texas. Driving around in the summer with no A/C is like driving with a hair drier in your face the whole time. You see snow coming down (melting when it hits the ground) maybe once every 4 years. Culture blows if you live in the 'burbs. Strip malls. Strip malls everywhere. It is a serious hike to get to the good places.

Im an Austin transplant now; been here for 15 years.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns