View Full Version : Quick Wins in a Long-Term Game...

08-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Hi, All:

I've been lurking for a while, absorbing information, but this will be my first post.

I got into mead about a year a half ago, starting with a variation on JOAM. Not being one to follow a recipe unless absolutely necessary, I made a 1 gallon batch of true JOAM, and then two 2 gallon batches of melomel--one raspberry and one blueberry.

The results varied. The true JOAM is sweet and very nice. The Blueberry is drinkable, but dry for me, and the raspberry may be a dismal failure, but time will tell.

Anyway, I picked up some carboys and really want to make a few more meads, but my wife isn't terribly behind the whole idea. She's used to me messing around with odd hobbies, but I'd rather have her onside than grudging and rolling her eyes; I need a quick win.

She loves cider, so I'm thinking a Cyser might be the way to go, and I also wouldn't mind doing another batch of traditional (like the JOAM), and maybe something like Chocolate or Vanilla Cherry--but I'm open to suggestions.

Does anyone have a recipe that's likely to yield tasty results in 6 months or less? Something that will get her on board and excited for the next batch of mead to age?

Suggestions will be much appreciated!

08-16-2012, 10:24 PM

This is a popular way to go for speed concerns.. Just make sure you have cold crash capabilities as you will be stabilizing before fermentation ends naturally

08-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Cheers, Snuesen! That's exactly what I'm looking for! I had thought to search for quick meads, but for some reason hadn't actually search quick cyser.

Much appreciated!