PDA

View Full Version : Mead gone bad overnight

Midas921
08-17-2012, 08:18 PM
I recently brewed a mead & 3 months after racking into my better bottle decided to taste. It was a little wild which was to be expected of a young mead but tasted full bodied and pleasant with carbonation from adding some honey after the primary fermentation. I had several tastings throughout the week and everything was fine but today (almost overnight) the mead is almost completely tasteless, the aroma is still there but it taste like very very weak vodka, indiscript and tasteless except for a fair amount of bitterness and almost no carbonation left. Any help or ideas as to what went wrong would be appreciated.

Medsen Fey
08-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Probably nothing has gone wrong but if it is through being fizzy, it probably has de-gassed fully and typically meads do go through phases where they just need time.

Chevette Girl
08-17-2012, 08:46 PM
I also notice with both my wines and meads that right about the point where they go dry, they start tasting like nothing but alcohol, a little age can do wonders though!

Midas921
08-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Thanks, I hope your right and its just a phase.

Midas921
08-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Mead is weird stuff I have cristal champagne one day, schnapps the next and now watery vodka, hope your right.

wildoates
08-20-2012, 12:06 AM
Meads are like children...difficult until fully mature. :)

kudapucat
08-20-2012, 04:54 AM
Meads are like children...difficult until fully mature. :)

And only then do you find out if you like what they've become ;-)