• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hypothetically speaking...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Penguinetti

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2011
Eliot, ME
...how would one go about getting rid of a chicken bone sliver stuck in their throat from the night before...

...hypothetically speaking, of course...

Khan

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Apr 11, 2012
South jersey
That actually happened to my wife shortly after we were married... I had to reach in with a pair of needle-nose pliers to grab it (I'm sure a good pair of tweezers would work too).. she had a sore throat after that for a little while (not to mention the gag-reflex action that happened), but we got the bone out.

it takes good light and a not-so-squeamish person to help.

Penguinetti

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2011
Eliot, ME
That actually happened to my wife shortly after we were married... I had to reach in with a pair of needle-nose pliers to grab it (I'm sure a good pair of tweezers would work too).. she had a sore throat after that for a little while (not to mention the gag-reflex action that happened), but we got the bone out.

it takes good light and a not-so-squeamish person to help.

Yea... hypothetically, of course. I may be by myself this week.

Both of which can be found at your local ER.

ehhgh... I was hoping I wouldn't have to bring in the professionals.

...They get expensive...

Khan

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Apr 11, 2012
South jersey
...They get expensive...

"Better Safe Than Stupid"

but if one would "hypothetically" insist on doing this solo (not a good idea!).. then make sure one has a steady hand and some well placed, and stable, mirrors so that one may see what is happening all the way through the process (if he/she can't see it then he/she shouldn't even consider trying this and instead see a professional)... simply regurgitating may only serve to cause the bone fragment to lodge deeper into the lining of the throat, and cause all sorts of unpleasantness. Same thing if this person tries to swallow something large in an attempt to move the object in the other direction.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, it's like brake jobs or suspension on the car, some things I just won't do myself for safety's sake...

Are you sure it's a sliver and not just a scratch on the inside of your throat that's raw and irritated and rubbing on something every time you swallow? My grandmother had that from a fish bone once, the doctors had a look and didn't find anything. It was tender for a couple of days...

...and discussions like this make me so glad my only consideration for going to the ER here is, "Is it really worth the drive and then the wait?"

Penguinetti

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2011
Eliot, ME
Yeah, it's like brake jobs or suspension on the car, some things I just won't do myself for safety's sake...

Are you sure it's a sliver and not just a scratch on the inside of your throat that's raw and irritated and rubbing on something every time you swallow? My grandmother had that from a fish bone once, the doctors had a look and didn't find anything. It was tender for a couple of days...

...and discussions like this make me so glad my only consideration for going to the ER here is, "Is it really worth the drive and then the wait?"

Haha... yea, I'm all for suggesting my wife go, but if it's me, I tend to hesitate.

It could definitely be just a scratch from a bone that went down. Honestly, I wouldn't know the difference, and I've eaten cereal, soup, cookies, and drank water since then. It's just bothersome, is all.

...I mean, hypothetically-- egh...

It's literal. I did it.

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
There is such a thing as "pill esophagitis" where maybe you took a big pill and it hurt going down and maybe some of the chemical lingering in the esophagus caused some mucosal damage and now it just feels like there's a big pill stuck in the esophagus, although it's not still there, and it continues to feel that way until the mucosa heals...hypothetically speaking...or, alternatively, the pill could actually still be there...hypothetically

Not so hypothetically, the thing to do is seek professional help. End of story.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns