PDA

View Full Version : For The Alchemist, cause you asked.

Penguinetti
08-21-2012, 02:22 PM
So the first time I met my wife, she actually didn't speak to me. She went to her friend's catechism class (which I happened to be in) and she didn't say a word.

The 2nd time I saw her I was a freshman in high school; she was turning into the stairwell. She still didn't really notice me. But I thought it fate to have seen her in two completely unrelated places (and to give you an idea, the school is 1 of 3 that have roughly 2000 kids each).

Then one day, I saw her at lunch, and I sat down and started talking to her. We ended up becoming friends. We would hang out. She ended up dating a buddy of mine briefly. In any case...

I was bad at talking to girls. But I told my best friend that she had to be the one and that he had to help me let her know. So he gave me some tips.

"Remember the details" was the biggest one. I mean, it was easy remembering her details (she listened to the same radio station every night, she loved the song "I can't Help Falling In Love With You" sung by UB-40, she was born in Poland, etc.), but pointing it out as a tip really made sense.

I started by learning her language. I wanted to be able to impress her, so i spent hours trying to pronunciate. She thought it was cute. She was convinced I wouldn't learn because it's such a hard language, but she went along with it. She would write me notes in polish, and I would try to read them and write back.

Finally, during one of our many snow storms in late February, I decided I would attempt to ask her out. But just asking her out wouldn't do. So I set up this plan:

I called the radio station she listened to (actually, the show was 'Delilah' who is still on the radio). I told Delilah to please play UB40's song at 8pm and then to say it was for Monika and to have her go to her front door. Delilah actually told me to call her back. I should do that.

I wrote a poem (it was basically "I love you" in several languages, with some rhyming and whatnot) in calligraphy (yes, I learned calligraphy). At the bottom of the poem was instructions to go to her back porch. I glued blue ribbons (her favorite color at the time) down the edges as a lining, rolled this up into a scroll, and sealed it closed with a candlewax rose stamp. I had my friend drive me to her house (I didn't drive at the time) and I placed this on her front doorstep.

Then I proceeded to wait out in her backyard (covered in snow), wearing my friend's grey turtleneck and my black leather jacket, holding a blue Iris; waiting for her to come out so that I could tell her exactly how I felt.

Penguinetti
08-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Well, it turns out nothing went as planned. I later found out that she wasn't even listening to the radio station. The scroll was blown into the bushes next to her doorstep. And her mom saw me through the kitchen window, standing out in her backyard.

So she asked Monika if she knew there was a boy out back. That's when Monika came out. And I thought my plan had worked, so i proceeded to tell her that I loved her, and that i wanted to be more than friends, and if she could give me a chance...

And then my phone rang, and it was my friend saying the radio station just played the song, and to get ready because she should be coming out soon.

Penguinetti
08-21-2012, 02:28 PM
So, I went out to the front to show her the scroll, and had her put on the radio so she could hear the song. She still thought it wonderful. But she wasn't sure. Or maybe she was sure, and just wanted to torture me a little bit, I don't know.

In any case, she proceeded to give me a response, in polish, one word at a time via notes throughout the next week at school.

We ended up together middle of that March.

ZwolfUpir
08-21-2012, 02:50 PM
That's a lot more romantic that how my wife and I got together...

TheAlchemist
08-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Oh! Thank you thank you! That is one charming story!

Chevette Girl
08-21-2012, 09:45 PM
D'awwwwww!!

My husband and I were actually dating each other's friends in university... his ex is really exxed, but mine's still a good friend of both of ours, was in our wedding party, chauffeured us on our honeymoon, and his girlfriend moved into my house last weekend (as a tenant, I rent out two rooms to pay the mortgage).

My mom and dad have a cute story too, they met winning science fairs (at the finals, they were from different high schools), then my dad dated mom's younger sister briefly before she decided she wanted to be a nun and went into the convent, then they actually got together and dated for a while, then after graduating from university, Dad got a job in Ottawa in September (they're both from Hamilton area) and then when he came back at Thanksgiving, Mom told his parents that they were either getting married or she was going up to Ottawa with him and they'd live in sin... so they didn't know till the actual wedding day whether any of his family was going to even show up... and my mom wore hot pants, and nobody could tell till she turned around at the front of the church :)

wildoates
08-21-2012, 10:41 PM
I met my late husband when his father--who was administering my driving test--asked me for my phone number to give his son who was just home from Vietnam and had broken up with a recent girlfriend. I gave it to him, not thinking anything would come of it, but we got married only 5 months later (I was barely 18!).

I can't believe he didn't get in trouble for asking for my number for his son, I was seventeen and he was 25...he'd go to jail for that nowadays.

Chevette Girl
08-22-2012, 01:01 AM
One of my school friends was 14, dating a 21 year old... it doesn't seem like such a big difference now that she's mid-30's and they've just had their first child :) (and no, it wasn't against the law, 14 was the age of consent at the time, I think it's 16 now).

Noe Palacios
08-23-2012, 06:41 PM
My first kiss.

Although there was a war in Nicaragua, few Salvadorians felt themselves secure here, there was a war there too.

We received in our home a refugee girl from El Salvador. She was really pretty and I immediately got a crush on her.

Once we were in the kitchen, alone at home. I don’t remember what we were doing, today it’s irrelevant, it was irrelevant then too. I don’t know how but I got an impulse, and like if somebody remote controlled me I moved toward her and place my closed lips on hers.

She cried – “What are you doing?” – and said so she took a small skillet and hit me on my forehead. I fall and a big bump appeared on my fore.

She started to cry and said – “I’m sorry, I’m sorry” – she took ice from the freezer and place on me. When she noticed that I won’t die she took my face and gave me my first kiss ever, a real passionate kiss. No girl had ever kiss me like she did that day.

Then she told me – “You should ask, you’ll be surprised about how often the answer will be a “yes” if you ask properly”.

God! she was right. Asking still works ... sometime ... not as often as 25 years ago, but still works.

Saludos,

Soyala_Amaya
08-23-2012, 07:07 PM
This is probably another example of me and my viewpoints on romance, but the first REAL kiss I shared with my soon to be fiance (I just got a text today that the ring is done and he's picked it up, now just to wait for LATP when we will annoince to all our friends ;D) was after we'd been dating for a couple of weeks. He'd been really annoying me with these super gentle, super tentative, really gentle kisses.

Anyway, he'd come to watch one of my game nights and I'd had a really awesome night with my half-orc barbarian. Flying high as only a geek who knows the might of the nat 20 can. He started to kiss me goodnight, doing that same gently holding my face thing...I growled, pinned him to the car, and as he tells it "attacked his face".

He says it's the night he started falling in love with me. For me it was the night I figured out he liked it when I took control which made ME happy because there are lots of men who aggressive women a turn off. But I've never really been the meek and mild type in anything I do, so what's the difference in a relationship?

Chevette Girl
08-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Anyway, he'd come to watch one of my game nights and I'd had a really awesome night with my half-orc barbarian. Flying high as only a geek who knows the might of the nat 20 can.

OMG, he's lucky he escaped with his virtue intact! Natural 20's are such a high! :)

Soyala_Amaya
08-24-2012, 12:33 PM
I knocked a dragon out of the sky and grappled it with my daily! It was awesome! I was the only one in our party with reach and he was kicking our butts till I put him to the ground! It was definitely a "barbarian SMASH" moment ;D

Chevette Girl
08-24-2012, 01:02 PM
I knocked a dragon out of the sky and grappled it with my daily! It was awesome! I was the only one in our party with reach and he was kicking our butts till I put him to the ground! It was definitely a "barbarian SMASH" moment ;D

RRRAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! Lothar BASH! Awesome.

Unfortunately my sessions usually sound more like, "I rolled a two. I miss." "Ooh, it's a four this time. I still miss." "Hey, does a six hit? Nope, needed a seven with that power." "Woo, a one. I clang my axe off the wall again. Remind me to polish out that chip." "Wow, I finally rolled an eleven, I hit something!!! ... but he was gonna die from your ongoing damage anyway. Woo. And combat's over..." Sure enough, the only 20's I ever roll are initiative, when I want to go last because everyone's in my way or I need to hide behind them or wait till they're in position so I can backstabby... my dice hate me so...

TheAlchemist
08-24-2012, 10:16 PM
So, I was contemplating this thread and it occurred to me that you went to all that trouble just to ask her out on a date?!

Oh you Say Anything fellow, you! Care to come up with a Movie Mead for Say Anything?

Penguinetti
08-27-2012, 08:52 AM
So, I was contemplating this thread and it occurred to me that you went to all that trouble just to ask her out on a date?!

Oh you Say Anything fellow, you! Care to come up with a Movie Mead for Say Anything?

Haha... yup. Just to ask her out, lol. But I knew at that moment I wanted more than to just date her.

The engagement for the wedding (lots of years later) involves several weeks of different dates and a finale at a lighthouse.

Honestly, I've never seen that movie...

TheAlchemist
08-27-2012, 12:05 PM
OK
So we'll be looking for the story of the engagement next...

Chevette Girl
08-27-2012, 12:50 PM
OK
So we'll be looking for the story of the engagement next...

Yep, come on, dish... :) (I can't say much about mine aside from it being in the wee hours in the morning during one of those late-night chats in the dark, my hubby's great, but "romantic" is not generally an apt descriptor).

Matrix4b
08-27-2012, 06:21 PM
OMG, he's lucky he escaped with his virtue intact! Natural 20's are such a high! :)

Heh, yeah, my wife can roll two in a row easily. Got to be so much of a problem that we have occasionally taken to watching her dice rolls and sure enough, she does it. She once rolled 3 20s in a row. I was all set up for a prolonged air ship to air ship battle with undead magic missle skellingtons, but nope. She pegged the captian and blew up the ship about 500 yards off. I suppose it helped my ego a bit that she was playing an archer of epic skill with magical equipment.
Though she did touch off a wild magic storm that was world raging.

But yes, had momements like that.

Matrix

Chevette Girl
08-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Heh, yeah, my wife can roll two in a row easily. Got to be so much of a problem that we have occasionally taken to watching her dice rolls and sure enough, she does it. She once rolled 3 20s in a row. I was all set up for a prolonged air ship to air ship battle with undead magic missle skellingtons, but nope. She pegged the captian and blew up the ship about 500 yards off. I suppose it helped my ego a bit that she was playing an archer of epic skill with magical equipment.
Though she did touch off a wild magic storm that was world raging.

But yes, had momements like that.

Heh, she's one of THOSE, huh? We have one in our group too, I actually had to get him to roll up my character's stats because I tried about six times and couldn't make one that didn't deserve to be stabbed to death with a salad fork for not having a postitive stat bonus total... I'm the opposite, I usually get the 1 when it's most damaging to miss (generally a non-reliable daily) and the 20 when it's most useless... this is why I prefer systems with multiple dice, I'm less likely to roll 18 on 3d6 in Heroes than I am to roll a 1 in D&D... (sorry to jack this thread again!)

Soyala_Amaya
08-27-2012, 08:46 PM
And this is why I like this group...you guys understand me. ;D Go geeks!

Matrix4b
08-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Heh, she's one of THOSE, huh? We have one in our group too, I actually had to get him to roll up my character's stats because I tried about six times and couldn't make one that didn't deserve to be stabbed to death with a salad fork for not having a postitive stat bonus total... I'm the opposite, I usually get the 1 when it's most damaging to miss (generally a non-reliable daily) and the 20 when it's most useless... this is why I prefer systems with multiple dice, I'm less likely to roll 18 on 3d6 in Heroes than I am to roll a 1 in D&D... (sorry to jack this thread again!)

Yeah, I understand. I am currently developing a fantasy game using a standard dech of cards. I MAY be done and ready for playtest by November. Just trying to get it all in the computer so I can edit easier. I have a friend that can't roll worth crap either but he had a great character in my game, 1/2 orc barbarian that didn't understand words of more than two sylables and prefered one. Anything that confused him was something to eliminate with violence. Great character Ned. His battle cry was "Ned Make Dead." For undead he just added another dead at the end. Good times. High wisdom low intelligence are great combos.

Sorry to continue the thread jack.

Matrix

Chevette Girl
08-29-2012, 02:41 AM
Yeah, I understand. I am currently developing a fantasy game using a standard dech of cards. I MAY be done and ready for playtest by November. Just trying to get it all in the computer so I can edit easier. I have a friend that can't roll worth crap either but he had a great character in my game, 1/2 orc barbarian that didn't understand words of more than two sylables and prefered one. Anything that confused him was something to eliminate with violence. Great character Ned. His battle cry was "Ned Make Dead." For undead he just added another dead at the end. Good times. High wisdom low intelligence are great combos.

OMG, reminds me of a 2nd ed (AD&D?) game from about fifteen years ago, two of us were barbarians and of course illiterate, eventually we worked out that a door marked "Thirteen Triangle Semicircle" in the mage's chalk was not to be opened.
13 ^ |) spells BAD when you don't know your alphabet... although we weren't terribly stupid, just ignorant, often willfully. Till one of us rolled positive for psionic potential. Then things just got odd.

My husband converted everything in the Heroes textbook to 3d10 about ten years ago because he liked the bell curve better... and I've seen some cool ideas for using decks of cards, I think one was for initiative but don't remember the system, and I can't remember exactly how Aces and Eights used them but it did.

Aaw crap, is my geek showing again? <blush>

Matrix4b
08-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Aaw crap, is my geek showing again? <blush>

Awww, being geeky makes you blush. No need to be shy about it. I am frequently geeky. My inititive system relies on a standard suit system, aces high, duce low. Draw a single card and increase the card upwards by your init bonus. That's it. Multiple actions, no prob, just draw more cards and split your bonus how ever you like. Then you can declare duce to ace, act ace to duce. The init draw can be once a round or for simplicity: Once for the combat. Ties are arbitrated by suit priority, then highest over all bonus.

But yes, loved the AD&D 2nd ed Psionics book. Darksun was like Dune for us, in concept, just never got to play that world.

Matrix

Matrix4b
08-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Hmm, Natural 20 Brew?

Chevette Girl
08-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Hmm, Natural 20 Brew?

I think I've even mentioned chucking dice in a weirdomel...

Soyala_Amaya
08-31-2012, 04:13 PM
Let your geek flag fly!

It's really what saved my guy's first date, that he was so horribly geeky I mean. He was almost 20 minutes late and didn't have a cell phone at the time, but we were meeting at one of my favorite mediterranean restaraunts so I had just shrugged and ordered dinner anyway (I always carry a book in my purse and was in the process of calling my sister to go to the piano bar next door as my backup date night. She still says she would never have had the balls to stay anywhere she had been stood up...I still think she's a wuss :p) when he walked in. He was wearing a really nice fedora and an old 60's leather jacket that was just enough for me to let him sit down.

After dinner we walked to the half-price bookstore where he bought me some old Stephen King books I didn't have, we went to a late night non-chain tea shop to talk, and then came the finale...impromptu boffer fight in the parking lot. That one was entirely me. ;D They were just THERE, LOOKING at me...yeah, the fact that he took up the other sword and fought back is what earned the goodnight kiss.

Geek forever, don't fight it.

TheAlchemist
09-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Ahem...
Back on the subject...
We are still awaiting the Proposal Story