PDA

View Full Version : Decided to start my 3rd batch of mead... ran into somewhat of a conundrum.

762by54r
08-25-2012, 02:18 PM
So I just got finished my 3rd batch of mead, and wanted to try a more traditional one. 1 gallon size, 3 1/4 pounds of paw paw honey (a 1/4# of which was crystalized).

Everything was going well, sanitized, dissolved the honey in some of the water.

However, when I went to take the hydrometer reading (this is my first time using this device, as my first two batches were a JAOM and then my own recipe based on JAOM) reading per instructions it is saying 1.46 on the hydrometer below the meniscus line.

Perhaps I am reading it incorrectly or something else... but from what I have gathered 3 pounds of honey per 1 gallon shouldn't read that high. Maybe the crystalized honey would factor for such a high reading, but since I do not know, I come to you fine folks for some assistance.

I tried googling and searching for a topic like this, but couldn't find anything pertaining to my specific problem, so I apologize if this has been covered before.

I decided to just go ahead and pitch the yeast and see how it turns out, if it turns out good well then 'yay" if it doesn't I will chalk it up to a learning experience.

762by54r
08-25-2012, 03:29 PM
After more or less staring at my hydrometer, I am lead to believe I am reading it wrong and that's it.

Here is a picture of my hydrometer, and I have added an arrow showing where the measurement read. I guess what is throwing me, is how you add the measurement. When I was first reading it, I was seeing 1.100 + 40 = 1.400, but now that I am thinking about it more, 1.100 + 40 = 1.140 would make more sense.
So to get to the nit and gritty, my initial perceived reading was 1.46, but rethinking it I am now going with 1.146.
I guess the question is, which of my interpretations of the reading is correct?

Thank you for your help and time on this matter.
http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j368/762x54R/IMG_20120825_152016.jpg

fatbloke
08-25-2012, 04:16 PM
1.146 is where you've arrowed the image, so if that's where it measured too, its correct.

Mars Colonist
08-25-2012, 04:20 PM

Also, there is probably a temp compensation (http://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/) that needs to be taken into account.

762by54r
08-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Alright cool, so I def. did misread it then. That's good I was extremely worried there for a little while that the og was 1.46.

As a side not, I had intended to rack this onto some blueberries and vanilla in a secondary once fermentation is complete. I am using d47 (all my brew shop had on hand at the time), I wasn't expecting such a high OG.

In your opinion do you think this will be too sweet in the end? Worse comes to worst I can always try throwing in some 1116 if it's too sweet in the end I suppose.

illuveatar
08-26-2012, 10:23 AM
With D47 you'll probably end up with a FG around 1.02-1.03 depending on how high the yeast push the alcohol ceiling. That's pretty sweet but some folks like their meads to be in that range. I'd wait and see.