PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn Mead..

Maverick
08-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Hello,

So I started 3 separate Gallon batches of Mead back in February all of them were made the exact same way (just your standard Sack Mead recipe). 1 of them cleared all by itself like a charm, and i could potentially bottle it today if i wanted. The 2nd batch needed some bentonite to clear it but it did the job and it too could be bottled. The 3rd batch however, despite a bentonite treatment is still cloudy, The bentonite has been in the mead for 3 weeks and today I'm racking it to remove the waste from the bottom.

So my question is, should I do a second Bentonite treatment? Or is that not something that is recommended?

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Chevette Girl
08-26-2012, 04:16 PM
A second bentonite treatment shouldn't hurt anything but it also might not help, you might need to try something that attracts the oppositely charged particles from bentonite, which if I recall correctly would be sparkolloid or gelatin.

Medsen Fey
08-26-2012, 05:29 PM
How much Bentonite did you use the first time? If you go beyond 1 gram per liter, there's potential for stripping aroma and flavor.

Recipe details might help us to say more. If it is still cloudy are you certain that fermentation isn't still proceeding slowly?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Maverick
08-26-2012, 06:28 PM
I used the recommended amount of bentonite per gallon of two tablespoon of the slurry per gallon.

The recipe i followed was
3 lbs of Honey
1 gallon of water
Yeast Nutrients
1 Orange sliced up
1 package of Lalvin Wine Yeast

Fermentation had stopped long ago, and there doesn't appear to be any new yeast that was piling up on the bottom of the jug or any air bubbles in the airlock that would suggest otherwise. It certainly is clearer than it was during the original fermentation period, but it by all means is not as clear as it should be.