• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Pitch too soon?!

Barrel Char Wood Products

DAGruenwald

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 28, 2012
Albany, NY
Just began my first 3 1-gallon batches of mead, sterilized well, and used 3 lbs of wildflower honey for each batch, and 1/4 tsp of Fermaid-K "pre-pitch". I mixed 1/4 tsp of Go-Ferm in 104ish degree water, 2 cups (of water) for the first 2 batches, 2 oz for the second (realized my mistake). Put (full) packet of yeast on top (K1-V1116 for the first and third batches, EC-1118 for the middle one), let it sit for 15 min, then stirred gently. Then pitched into my must which was in the 82 degree range. Stirred/shook in the 1-gallon jug for 15 min. My question is, was that a bad idea? From what I have read after the fact, it looks like I should have aerated and then pitched my yeast. Each batch began bubbling out of the airlock almost immediately, and 24 hours later are bubbling roughly once/second. There is no foam but already a decent amount of "stuff" on the bottom. Thoughts? Did I do something terribly wrong? If so can I fix it?

Yo momma

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 14, 2007
Flint, Michigan
Your batches will be fine. I usually wait for my must to be room temp then pitch my yeast after 15 min like yours. Its not a bad thing you did just hang in there and watch to see. Try more batches the cooler must way to see what the changes are.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns