PDA

View Full Version : Introductions

Aras Taurė
08-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Hi all...thought I'd pop in to introduce myself. Found the site through searching the interwebs, but was convinced to join after seeing Medsen talk it up on another forum a few times.

Been mead making and brewing for a couple of years and looking to step up both quality and quantity!!! Plan on signing up as a patron.

Gotta say...I'm in love with Mead. There's nothing like it for sure.

Chevette Girl
08-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Welcome to the forum!

If you want to get to know us and all our weirdnesses better, check out the Hive where we let it all hang out, off-topic and on... :D

My biggest problem with this place is there are so many cool ideas I get that I'm beggaring myself buying honey to make all kinds of batches I don't have room for and that I can't drink as fast as I make :) the to-brew list is ever lengtheninig.

Aras Taurė
08-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Wow...never did paypal before. The computer was slow an so was I 750 ml later. Patron I am:occasion14:

Riverat
08-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Wow...never did paypal before. The computer was slow an so was I 750 ml later. Patron I am:occasion14:

Cool, one of the best investments around, glad you joined our motley crew

Noe Palacios
08-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Welcome to the forum!

If you want to get to know us and all our weirdnesses better, check out the Hive where we let it all hang out, off-topic and on... :D

My biggest problem with this place is there are so many cool ideas I get that I'm beggaring myself buying honey to make all kinds of batches I don't have room for and that I can't drink as fast as I make :) the to-brew list is ever lengtheninig.

You should start a meadery, then all your mead expenses will look like an "investment" and nobody, nobody will criticize you ever ... unless you don't make enought mead. Of course, there is a dark side, you'll have to sell your mead, so there won't be an excuse for sharing anymore. Well, there's always a price, but it is good deal, don't you think?

Saludos,

Chevette Girl
08-30-2012, 11:38 PM
You should start a meadery, then all your mead expenses will look like an "investment" and nobody, nobody will criticize you ever ... unless you don't make enought mead. Of course, there is a dark side, you'll have to sell your mead, so there won't be an excuse for sharing anymore. Well, there's always a price, but it is good deal, don't you think?

Thanks, Noe, I kind of wish I could, but there's no way my basement winery could get approved by anybody due to lack of emergency exit even if I could correct the lack of ventilation, and I can't afford a new house right now :D And as much as my friends keep asking me if they can buy, if I can't sell legally, I won't sell... although bartering for honey... that, that I'd do in a heartbeat.

TheAlchemist
08-31-2012, 05:46 AM
...if I can't sell legally, I won't sell... although bartering for honey... that, that I'd do in a heartbeat.

Bartering is taxable, gifts are not.
I believe in a gifting based economy.

akueck
09-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Those Canadians might let you barter, I'm not sure. Down here bartering is definitely a no-go with homemade alcohol.

I like gifting, though it would be hard to base the whole economy on it. Gifts rely on the inherent goodness of people in general, and the feeling of social obligation specifically. With our "global economy", there is no compunction to be either good or socially responsible, or even more-or-less honest. :(

TheAlchemist
09-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Mead For Social Capital!

Noe Palacios
09-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Bartering is taxable, gifts are not.
I believe in a gifting based economy.

I'm not against taxes ... but in most cases I might be against how are they used, there should be a rational way to expend all that money.

Saludos,

Chevette Girl
09-02-2012, 05:22 AM
Those Canadians might let you barter, I'm not sure. Down here bartering is definitely a no-go with homemade alcohol.

I need to do a little investigation on the homemade alcohol front, I know there are barter networks where you earn and pay barter-bucks but you still pay taxes on the amounts so I imagine it's not at all legal because it's like selling... however, I'm pretty sure that outside of barter networks, a significant amount goes on under the table. And if I tell someone I'll give them wine if they buy me honey, I don't know how the gub'mint would ever find out and whether it'd be worth them doing something about. It's not like I'd name names on a public forum...

Aras Taurė
09-02-2012, 06:53 AM
I've given away plenty of free beer and mead ...the folks that reciprocate certainly get preferential treatment ;)