PDA

View Full Version : Glass or plastic demijhon.

Maikiro
08-30-2012, 05:45 PM
As title asks glass or plastic demijohn for either primary or secondary?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Riverat
08-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Plastic for primary is usually just fine (I use a plastic buckets for P) and glass is hard to beat for secondary / aging IMHO

Khan
08-30-2012, 06:11 PM
I agree with Riverat.. I use a food-grade plastic bucket for my fermentation vessel and rack to glass. I just think it's easier to fish out the goodie-bag from a bucket vs. carboy, not to mention easier to aerate when needed. And I know that my glass is not going to impart any flavors (that might be due to the plastic itself or whatever was in it before I used it last). that's my opinion on the matter.

TheAlchemist
08-30-2012, 07:02 PM
I use a plastic bucket for primary and a plastic Better Bottle for secondary.

Chevette Girl
08-30-2012, 09:54 PM
I almost always use a plastic bucket for primary (the exception being JAO's and variations which are usually done in wide-mouth jars, sometimes plastic juice bottles when my ideas overextend past my available space), and almost always use glass for secondary (sometimes I use plastic juice bottles when I'm out of glass jugs though, usually short-term but I've got a few that've been in plastic long-term.

wowbagger
08-31-2012, 09:30 AM
I've been making gallon batches mostly so I pretty much go glass for primary and secondary. I use a plastic pail for oaking and when I have a big bag of fruit since I haven't worked out a way to get a bag of fruit and marbles into a gallon carboy.

WyldWytch
10-17-2012, 09:15 PM
I use a plastic bucket for primary and a plastic Better Bottle for secondary.

Alchemist how long do your meads sit in the Better Bottles in the secondary phase? Any taste difference versus glass secondary?

I will be ready to rack into a secondary within the next couple weeks and I'm not happy with the way my old glass carboy looks. Since I am going to replace it I wanted to hear others opinions on aging out in the Better Bottles since I certainly do not want to destroy something I put time and money into because I decided to use plastic versus glass.

For some reason I can't figure out the search tool here to actually search for threads on this matter, any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rosie

TheAlchemist
10-17-2012, 09:38 PM
I've been making mead for less than 2 years and hardly have a basis for comparison since I only bulk age 1 gal batches in glass and haven't really compared those to the bulk aged better bottle batches. Heck, I haven't bottled anything I've been bulk aging in better bottles yet.

Sorry I'm not more helpful.

WyldWytch
10-17-2012, 09:57 PM
I've been making mead for less than 2 years and hardly have a basis for comparison since I only bulk age 1 gal batches in glass and haven't really compared those to the bulk aged better bottle batches. Heck, I haven't bottled anything I've been bulk aging in better bottles yet.

Sorry I'm not more helpful.

LOL, it's all good. Was just trying to get opinions because I am grey cloud, the daughter of black cloud and if it can happen it will happen to me. I guess I will go with glass for a secondary or just forge the unknown path and try a Better Bottle for bulk aging.

Rosie

WyldWytch
10-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Well I just answered my own question...I went to BetterBottles site and right there in print..."Negligible O2 permeation." Since we don't want any O2 for chance of oxidation, glass it shall be, especially since we don't know what their considering "negligible."

Rosie

Chevette Girl
10-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Oh, the search tool... Right under the "Welcome, X unread posts since your last visit" box is the seach function. It sometimes even gives useful results... some hints for how to effectively ask it things can be found here (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18248)... and it doesn't work with words three letters or less unless they're part of a phrase, [JAO + variants] will return nothing whereas ["JAO variants"] should return some hits. Oh, and don't use common words like "mead", every thread in the whole forum uses that word so it'll give you an error. :p

Intheswamp
10-18-2012, 12:00 PM
I almost always use a plastic bucket for primary (the exception being JAO's and variations which are usually done in wide-mouth jars, sometimes plastic juice bottles when my ideas overextend past my available space), and almost always use glass for secondary (sometimes I use plastic juice bottles when I'm out of glass jugs though, usually short-term but I've got a few that've been in plastic long-term.

CG, with the wide-mouth jars, what type of lid/air-lock setup do you use?

Ed

Chevette Girl
10-18-2012, 02:18 PM
CG, with the wide-mouth jars, what type of lid/air-lock setup do you use?

Erm, an extremely complicated and high-tech solution... involving several layers of plastic wrap and a rubber band...;D it's not precisely airtight as it will bow outwards but still let excess CO2 bleed off without blowing the elastic off, and it'll bow inwards a little before it lets air in if the pressure changes for some reason.

I've used it for JAO's many times and never oxidation problems, the only contamination I've had is fruit fly intrusion when the elastic snapped and I didn't notice, aside from the first time where I only used a single ply and it got perforated...

Intheswamp
10-20-2012, 10:44 PM
CG, your solution to sealing the wide mouth jugs sounds completely logical to me...especially since I've never seen red balloons with mouths that big. ;)

Interesting, though, how the plastic covering responds to air pressure inside *and* outside.

Ed