PDA

View Full Version : Meads getting darker ?

BSC
08-31-2012, 04:32 PM
I have 3 DJ's of mead sat maturing, owing to a problem of some deposit after more then a year I have just filtered (again) some of them.

The raspberry mead is dark, lots darker then I would have expected, but it has raspberry in it so willing to accept it. Just sure it wasn't this dark when made.

Looked at both the others, both are 3 years old, one is also very dark and somewhat red and according to the label and memory is just mead, no additions.

The third is a spiced mead, that also is quite dark, and I would say somewhat darker then a I recall it being when frst made and placed in the DJ. Heading happily to a deep dark amber. That was just honey, cinnnamon, cloves, ginger and water.

Sure this is a bit strange, usually they tend to become paler with time.

Will say all 3 smell fine, actually all 3 smell great.

Basic question: Is this normal ? The colour that is not the smell. ;D;D

akueck
09-01-2012, 07:47 AM
A lot of times the color will change as the mead clears, and sometimes this does make it look darker since the suspended particles that were reflecting light are dropping out.

Another option for color darkening is oxidation, though you'd probably smell that if it were the case.

Medsen Fey
09-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Even without oxidative damage, wines and meads can darken with aging. This is especially true of sweet meads. Maillard reactions probably account for much of it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

BSC
09-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks, just it seemed a little at odds to most of what gets said.
Usually told to keep them in the dark to avoid them losing colour, never took any such precautions,kept in the kitchen generally out of any direct light but no more, however these are certainly getting darker. ???

They were not made with the same yeast so difficult to pin it on that. :confused2:

Do not think oxidation has occurred as they all smell pretty good, and not at all oxidised. Although I think they will need more some time to mature to anything smooth.

Will complete the filtering of all three, one to go - done one twice - the dark one, and leave and watch them for another year. They are all pretty clear, just one is much darker then expected.

Medsen Fey
09-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Warmer storage temps will speed darkening as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

BSC
09-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Well all 3 filtered.
All smell good, seem a little strong/harsh so guess they need more time. They have had about 2 years each since being made. Going to locate a storage cupboard for them. Need to check that nothing else percipitates out.>:(

The mid dark one, was filtered last and that is a real deep amber, in the DJ it appears to be redish but that I think is owing to the diameter of the DJ, when poured the colour is just deep amber. Pleased about that in a way as I was sure that nothing was added to cause the colour.

The one which had raspberry's included is just plain DARK RED. :eek::eek:

Going to be interesting in a year or two to see how they taste and what colour they arrive at.