PDA

View Full Version : Hello y'all!

BusyBees
09-02-2012, 12:35 PM
I am new here, just joined recently to get some good information on the specifics of mead making. When I started several years ago wanting to make mead, lacking a good source for honey, I made country wines semi-successfully, now brewing beer with huge success. Currently, I have a 6 gallon batch of melomel made with 3:1 ratio of blackberries to raspberries with 15lbs of honey fermenting in the basement, which is my first mead, and I hope to glean information from you to improve my mead, and someday be able to give information back.

:cheers:

BB

chiguire
09-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Welcome! I look forward to hearing how your melomel turns out!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

BusyBees
09-03-2012, 09:00 AM
I hope quite well, it is fermenting with D47 and Cote des Blancs at 66-68 degrees right now. OG was 1.103 and at 48 hours this morning it is 1.058....and it tastes yummy :)

Aras Taurė
09-04-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm a new member myself...welcome to the forum and to mead making.

Not only is drinking your own mead great but so is giving it to a friend (in a wine bottle) and seeing their expression when they have mead for the first time and it's nothing like they were expecting given the package.

Good times ahead!!!

wildoates
09-05-2012, 01:01 AM
I'm an old member*, and I say welcome!

(*I've only been a member for a few years, I'm just old. ;D)

Chevette Girl
09-05-2012, 01:11 AM
Welcome! I guess I'm not that old and I'm not that old a member, but I make up for it in verbal volume! :p

I started with fruit wines myself, so I sort of know where you're coming from... the biggest difference is that honey has its own acidity so you don't want to add more when you're converting wine recipes over to being a melomel. And the newbee guide is a good review, if you haven't already perused it.

youngmeadman
09-07-2012, 01:00 AM
...but I make up for it in verbal volume! :p

Yes, yes you do :)

I guess I could be an old member 6 years now????, but not that old....actually, not old at all. Took a good hiatus though...damn school always getting in the way, which it will again, any day now...

My first batch was a strawberry wine from wild yeast, second batch was a mead, which was the first time ever trying a mead. Never looked back!

And I totally agree with you Aras, the best is taking it to a party and seeing the surprised, yet pleased look on their face when they take a sip... I have made a few meadheads in my days :)

But welcome to the forum and hope your melomel turns out well. Keep us posted!

Young

ali123
11-16-2012, 01:42 AM
nice------

K5MOW
11-16-2012, 07:44 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Roger