PDA

View Full Version : JAOM - "Fermenting" 8 months... Am I screwed?

Tin Man
09-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Greetings from another JAOM NewBee.

OK, I found the JAOM recipe on the Mr. Beer forums and brewed a batch (actually 2 one gallon batches). Sounds fine, right...? Well the problem is I somehow missed the part about bottling after 2 months and it's been in the original gallon jugs since the end of December (as in, 8 months ago). In my effort to show patience and restraint I put the mead in a closet and ignored it (I also think I took the "no racking" rule literally, thinking it had to age as originally created in the original jugs)...

So anyway, am I screwed? Is it gonna be nasty since it's been sitting like that for months? Or will I somehow be rewarded for my patience! LOL.

Any insights would be welcome!
Thanks,
Tin Man

vulcan500rider
09-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Should be fine--that's the lovely thing about JOAM. Had mine "bulk aging" (code: forgot about it) for over a year. Turned out just fine. Just don't make the same mistake with a melomel....

Chevette Girl
09-03-2012, 02:56 PM
If it's a melomel with bread yeast, this seems to work fine, but don't ever do it with 71B, bleck. I've had JAO's in long-term storage before, it should be fine, and better than if you'd remembered to drink it at 2 months! :)

Tin Man
09-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks, Here's hoping! Will probably bottle and sample later this week. I pretty much brewed it exactly as the instructions spell out (honey, fleischmann's yeast, raisins, oranges, etc.). I'll try to remember to post results. Still interested in additional experiences/advice if anyone else happens to read this thread... Thanks!

Tin Man

kudapucat
09-03-2012, 05:40 PM
I've not liked JAO left on the fruit too long, but I have found the nastiness to age out in very short order, so don't worry if it's a bit nasty, just bottle it and wait. She'll be apples.