PDA

View Full Version : New here, 5 gallon Container?

SillverOrchid
09-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Hi, all yes.. another Newbie! ;D So happy to have found this site, my hubby and I would like to know if it's ok to make only one gallon of mead in a 5 gallon glass carboy? We would like to start small first and have a wine home brew kit that has not been used yet. Do not want to make 5 gallons right off the bat just in case something goes wrong, however we are unsure if that's ok to do in such a big container?

Thanks,

Kristy

Chevette Girl
09-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Hey SilverOrchid, welcome to the forum.

It's OK to do the actual fermenting ("primary fermentation") in a much larger container, but once all the bubbling stops you really want to put it in something smaller so it can age a bit and let things settle out ("secondary fermentation") without a lot of headspace, otherwise you risk oxidation. This can sometimes result in a pleasant sherry-like flavour or aroma, and sometimes it can result in a far less pleasant cardboard flavour.

A 1-gal glass carboy shouldn't be too hard to come by, sometimes you can get one full of apple cider or Carlo Rossi wine for not THAT much more than you'd pay for an empty jug...

If you haven't read the Newbee guide, I highly recommend it!

SillverOrchid
09-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Hey SilverOrchid, welcome to the forum.

It's OK to do the actual fermenting ("primary fermentation") in a much larger container, but once all the bubbling stops you really want to put it in something smaller so it can age a bit and let things settle out ("secondary fermentation") without a lot of headspace, otherwise you risk oxidation. This can sometimes result in a pleasant sherry-like flavour or aroma, and sometimes it can result in a far less pleasant cardboard flavour.

A 1-gal glass carboy shouldn't be too hard to come by, sometimes you can get one full of apple cider or Carlo Rossi wine for not THAT much more than you'd pay for an empty jug...

If you haven't read the Newbee guide, I highly recommend it!

Thanks for the help! We decided to go with the Ancient Orange recipe we found here in the Newbee guide.. figured it would be a good starting place..now it's just a matter of waiting! I am definitely going to get a Carlos Rossi jug next time I go to the state store :)

robin850
09-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the help! We decided to go with the Ancient Orange recipe we found here in the Newbee guide.. figured it would be a good starting place..now it's just a matter of waiting! I am definitely going to get a Carlos Rossi jug next time I go to the state store :)

after you taste your results, you will never make a small batch again!

welcome to the forum!

SillverOrchid
09-04-2012, 11:05 AM
after you taste your results, you will never make a small batch again!

welcome to the forum!

Thanks! :) I am looking fwd to trying it!