• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Commercial Nutrient and Bread Yeast

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
<sigh> It's on the to-brew list, either item 4 or 29 depending on whether I want to do it as part of the yeast test or as a JAO experiment using raisins, no raisins, and nutrients & energizer.

THawk

Crazy Martian Cat
GotMead Patron
I suppose I can try it... Heck, if it stalls I can always toss in 71b or EC-1118...

The reason I ask is that some people do taste the raisins, especially if it's just a JAOM-style base (i.e. no oranges)... Since commercial nutrients should make the base tasteless without having it go dry on you...

Last edited:

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I have heard so much about this list? How long is it now?

About three pages, double-spaced...although some of it is wines and some of it is beers.

How about you make it #1? :)

If I do, I won't have enough honey for the two 3-gal traditional batches comparing using golden and clover honey, and that's #1... unless I don't miss apple season after all...

Riverat

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
I've done a few batches with decent results for a newbee, I've done one with tart cherry juice, apple juice and a meadowfoam that was to be a traditional. I did abandon the whole JOAM approach though and stagger fed them, aerated them and swirled them and so forth.
I aso used a lower starting gravity (3 lbs honey in a 4 liter jug for the trad, 2.5 honey in the others) and let them age longer (only bottled the meadowfoam after 5 months) and the apple took awhile to mellow but they were fun to do and not too shabby.

THawk

Crazy Martian Cat
GotMead Patron
I've done a few batches with decent results for a newbee, I've done one with tart cherry juice, apple juice and a meadowfoam that was to be a traditional. I did abandon the whole JOAM approach though and stagger fed them, aerated them and swirled them and so forth.
I aso used a lower starting gravity (3 lbs honey in a 4 liter jug for the trad, 2.5 honey in the others) and let them age longer (only bottled the meadowfoam after 5 months) and the apple took awhile to mellow but they were fun to do and not too shabby.

So basically there is no real difference in using nutrient/energizer than raisins? As in, it's just like a 71b or a D47 (though I probably wouldn't throw the latter in a bread recipe)?

Riverat

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
So basically there is no real difference in using nutrient/energizer than raisins? As in, it's just like a 71b or a D47 (though I probably wouldn't throw the latter in a bread recipe)?

LOL!! hmm another for the "to do list?
The difference being more control, better timing and fine tuning the nutrition added to the needs of your partiqular yeast at that stage of the fermentation, some much more experienced folks have done comparisons on the different types of nutrients available today (mostly in the US) that may take a bit of searching to find, but would be well worth the effort.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns