PDA

View Full Version : FIRST TIME - 4 gallon batch of traditional honey based mead

Cattleskull
09-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Hey ladies and gentleman, new here I'd like to say you guys got a nice forum going on, my name is Peter or you can call me Cattleskull, whichever is fine by me.

Ok now lets get down to business; its been 1 week and 4 days since I sealed the wine bucket and put the airlock on for its 1st racking. Iv'e noticed it percolates with 1 bubble within a 5 to 10 second range. I have two questions, 1) when will the bubbling stop and 2) when will I know when to do the 2nd racking? you know transfer the bucket of mead into the 3 gallon glass jug for its long fermentation process. Here is what I did for my first batch of mead in this order...

-poured 3 gallons of distilled water into wine bucket (not boiled)
-stirred 1 gallon of natural honey (not heated)
-heated the yeast then poured into bucket
-dumped 1 cup of honey bee pollen and stirred

I did not add any energizer or anything or yeast nutrient, everything you see listed is what I did.

Thanks!

fatbloke
09-14-2012, 12:04 AM
As far as I can see, that batch would be termed as a "show" mead. A "traditional" batch would be the same but with nutrient, energiser, etc.

That might sound pedantic, but they are worlds apart.

Why ? Well honey is pretty much devoid of nutrients and the like naturally, so while it is feasible to continue "as is" it will likely be a very long, slow ferment.

If you obtained something like FermaidK, fermax or similar, it will make the ferment progress a lot quicker.

If you don't already have one, a hydrometer and test jar are almost essential for fermentation management.

Have a read of the Newbee guide linked in the left hand yellow box, and that should give you enough info to work out how you want to progress.......

Cattleskull
09-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Thank you, so my question is, how long do you think it'll have to stay in the bucket until I can transfer it into the 3 gallon jug for fermentation? its been 1 week and 5 days. Yes I do have a hydrometer and test tube. Do you suggest I open up the bucket and scoop up a cup of mead and put the hydrometer in to test what?

fatbloke
09-15-2012, 04:44 PM
If the liquid is deep enough, you can just drop the hydrometer (sanitised) straight in. You don't have to use the test jar.

If I transfer from bucket to carboy/DJ, I move it at about the 1.020 - 1.010 area....

Cattleskull
09-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Ok cool, so when should I transfer the mead into its 2nd stage, putting it into the class 3 gallon jug for its long fermentation process?

I hear some people wait 2 to 3 weeks before doing that. Should I wait one more week?