• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

How to Improve (reduce) yeasty taste

Barrel Char Wood Products

Paul S

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 15, 2012
I am brand new to meadmaking and was gifted 3 gallons of mead from a friend who is moving out of the country. Each gallon has a wonderful flavor, although a bit sweet. There is a gallon of plain, a gallon with raspberries added, and a gallon with orange, cinnamon, and cloves. They were kept in one gallon containers for a full year, and were given to me with the airlocks still on. The one noticeable and unpleasant characteristic is that they have a yeasty taste. As they have never been racked, I understand this is my next step. Can I expect racking to improve on the yeasty taste? And as the taste otherwise is so pleasant, and at a year out they are mature (true?), is there any way I can rack repetedly over the next few weeks to get a finished product that has no yeast aftertaste?

I appreciate the feedback.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Well, it would have been better to rack once all the yeast had settled out, but better late than never. The "yeasty taste" that you are noticing is very likely caused by yeast autolysis - the breakdown of yeast cells that occurs after they die. It usually takes some months to happen, but after a year of aging on the lees I'm sure you've got some yeast cell contents in your mead.

That said, you can get rid of much of the yeasty character by racking carefully off of the lees so as to leave as much as possible behind. Do that, then allow the mead to rest in another container for a time (month or so). If anything else falls out of suspension, rack off of that as well.

If too much yeasty character remains after the second racking, you could try fining (i.e. using a clearing agent) that is good for pulling suspended proteins out of the mead. Hot Mix Sparkolloid would work, as would an "old school" fining - egg whites. Add the fining agent per directions, stir in slowly but thoroughly, and allow the mead to settle a bit longer, several weeks. Then rack once more and see if that takes care of the problem.

Racking, and patience, can help with lots of minor mead issues. There really is no substitute for time in this case!

Paul S

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 15, 2012
Thanks for the detailed advice!

Thanks for taking the time to respond in such detail. I certainly appreciate it. As a beekeeper, I regard honey as precious, as as such, want the mead gifted to me to get the help I can provide for it to be as enjoyable as possible.

Much appreciated!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns