PDA

View Full Version : Priming Sugar Help

chop1620
09-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Hey, I am about ready to bottle my first melomel. I want to use priming sugar to make it a dessert mead.

1. How much sugar per champagne bottle is good to use.

2. And if I back sweetened it with fruit before I racked it to age, m i gonna to be risking a bottle bomb by priming?

3. After you prime and bottle it, is there a time frame that it loses carbonation by, or can i store it away for i.e. 5 years and still pop the cork?

Thanks a bunch.
Chop1620

akueck
09-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Please post your complete recipe and process.

Did you already stabilize this? If so, and your yeast are all knocked out, your sugar addition will not give you carbonation.

chop1620
09-20-2012, 09:26 PM
yeah I stabilized it and killed the yeast off, its just been sitting in the dark aging. I guess i missed my window to carbonate.

4lb honey
two cups melon pulp
1 gallon water
k1v-1116
teaspoon of yeast energizer and nutrients

back sweetened with:
2 cups melon cubes
1/3 cup honey

then i let it sit under airlock for 3 months

akueck
09-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Well, if you've got a keg setup you can always force carbonate. Otherwise yes, this one is going to be a still mead.

As far as loss of carbonation goes, I've never noticed a problem unless the seal is bad. I think I've only had carbonated stuff of my own for about 1.5 years with a crown cap and commercial cork & cage about 3 years in the bottle.

chop1620
09-21-2012, 08:24 PM
so, my next question would be....

i used the same recipe except with cherries. at what point of the process do i add the priming sugar.

Chop1620

akueck
09-22-2012, 09:21 AM
Well, you need to have a dry mead and yeast with legs left to do bottle priming. What is your FG on that mead?

Chevette Girl
09-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Essentially, you have to ferment out all your sugars first (SG below 1.000 and not moving) and still have a few % left on your yeast's tolerance. Age it as long as you like, if longer than about 6 months we'd suggest adding more yeast when you prime, but you prime right before you bottle, if you're using honey, 1 cup per 5 gallons is about what you need to get moderate carbonation.

theEnvoy
11-10-2012, 11:26 AM
I have been experimenting with priming sugar -- I have been priming cider that has completely fermented out (.92-.98 FG generally), and add 1.5 teaspoons of melted sugar/water with a ratio of 1/1 to each 12 ounce beer bottle with crown caps -- at least 2 weeks to a month to carb. The result has been a nice aggressive fizz with no exploded bottles. 1 even teaspoon has produced bubbles but no aggressive fizz. Both produce a nice drinkable cider.

I am now about to try this with a ginger beer (Recipe calls for DME, Dextrose), but I read a lot about "exploding bottles. I don't think ginger beer should make any difference, as long as I let it ferment out in the primary before priming. (I may have to add a little splenda or something to sweeten).

Does anyone have any experience with this that they can add? Thanks.

Medsen Fey
11-10-2012, 04:13 PM
If you do a search limited to me as author and search "atmospheres" as the term you'll find some good threads.

The key is to go by weight. Adding 4 grams of sugar per liter gives 1 volume of CO2 (equivalent to 1 atmosphere of pressure at a standard temp). You don't want more than about 3-3.5 volumes in a beer bottle. For higher than that level you need sparkling wine or Champagne bottles.

theEnvoy
11-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Thanks -- that's very helpful. Will print this out...