PDA

View Full Version : 1st taste

columbiacritter
09-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Was checking SG, down to 1.03 from 1.05 10 days ago. It smelled right but I was certain so I poured the mead from my measuring flask into a couple shot glasses and had my husband and neighbor try. Yeasty, slightly apple hints, still plenty sweet, already getting a nice clean alcohol kick, but neighbor said slight bitter after taste. Going to be a very dry mead.

The solution was still yeasty cloudy, not surprising.

No vinegar hints at all. No off tastes other than the bitter after taste. My husband didn't notice that so it might have been form the neighbor drinking coffee right before hand.

I'll be out of town then busy for the next two weeks, then I'll check the SG again.

My jug of JAOM is startling to clear and has slowed down it's bubbling to once every few minutes. It might be ready for racking in tow weeks too.

Loadnabox
09-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Was checking SG, down to 1.03 from 1.05 10 days ago. It smelled right but I was certain so I poured the mead from my measuring flask into a couple shot glasses and had my husband and neighbor try. Yeasty, slightly apple hints, still plenty sweet, already getting a nice clean alcohol kick, but neighbor said slight bitter after taste. Going to be a very dry mead.

The solution was still yeasty cloudy, not surprising.

No vinegar hints at all. No off tastes other than the bitter after taste. My husband didn't notice that so it might have been form the neighbor drinking coffee right before hand.

I'll be out of town then busy for the next two weeks, then I'll check the SG again.

My jug of JAOM is startling to clear and has slowed down it's bubbling to once every few minutes. It might be ready for racking in tow weeks too.

Apple tastes and smells are normal but usually fade after a while.

Alcohol taste will kick up a few notches as the SG drops. That faint alcohol kick will turn into a "Are you sure that's not 100 proof" by the time it's done, then settles out again with age.

Bitterness, not sure the recipe, but that can age out, or it might not, back-sweetening later can help that. Try back-sweetening a couple coups later on to get a feel for where you want it.

Gratz on the first taste! Let the addiction commence!