PDA

View Full Version : What are your OTHER hobbies?

Kun2112
09-30-2012, 11:33 AM
From what I've learned over the past few years, most people who make mead, wine, and beer at home are cut from a different cloth. People like that, who are different, in a good way, generally have more than one hobby. As I get into my own fermenting season, I would like to learn more about the fine people who make up the Got Mead community. The best way to learn about someone, I have found, is to learn what they do for fun! I'll start.

My "summertime" hobby is RC naval combat. I build scale models of warships, add a radio, servos, etc... sheet the sides of the hull in thin balsa and arm then with pneumatic cannons shooting BBs to 1/4" ball bearings at other people's boats in attempts to sink each other. The boats are recoverable, and we protect the electronics to survive a sink. It doesn't always work out that way though, and I have had to replace components on occasion--water will find any flaw in your waterproofing.

So, what do you do for fun when not measuring SG, looking for honey, and racking off the latest experiment?

Chevette Girl
09-30-2012, 11:54 AM
RC naval battles? That's one I haven't heard of, sounds like a lot of fun!

I have a 23-year old pony who takes up a fair bit of time and money (I ride bareback, mostly Dressage training with a sprinkling of Western and the occasional jumping spree), I also have a 30-year old Chevette making time and cash demands... I make jams and jellies, I have a baking problem (same as my brewing problem, I always make more than I can consume), I've been doiing Aikido for over a decade and Iaido for almost that long, roleplaying games for at least 15 years, my house is stuffed full of board games and my hubby and I got into painting warhammer minis and making terrain a couple years ago (I made a Cone of Shame to put on a Skaven musician for chewing on his bell, and just don't ask about Pinky the drag queen Goblin leader). We also both make medieval and fantasy armours under contract for our armourmaster, and we both do armoured fighting because our armourmaster is also our swordfighting trainer. I also do sewing, crocheting, beadwork and wirework jewelry... and I'm sure there are a bunch more hobbies packed away that I haven't touched for a while because I want to do too many things...

Altricious
09-30-2012, 01:36 PM
This is my major hobby: http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd240/bpcaviary/Solid%20B/103108BriarPatchSiverLogo.jpg

My mother and I have been raising and showing cavies (guinea pigs) for about 25 years. We're pretty much top in our breed nationally. We've even taken one Best in Show award at the national convention a couple years ago.

I also do a crapload of crafts, too many kinds to list. But, ya know, that's just for fun.

akueck
09-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Sinking boats sounds like a ton of fun! I should do that too. :)

Just bought our first house, so the major hobby right now is "fixing stuff". Working a lot on the pond. Pretty much that takes up all available time. :(

celticgladiator
09-30-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm into ham radio and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu when my work schedule allows it. Nothing like the release of stress as you are trying to keep from getting choked out, for some reason you just don't have time to worry about much else ;)

Leeham991
09-30-2012, 04:21 PM
I generally drink absolutely every craft beer I find, fight with swords, do traditional archery and play around on military sims on the PC.

In fact it was my love of dressing up like a medieval soldier which got me interested in mead, which I first bought at the Royal Armouries :D

I also like making bread, building wooden things and growing spider plants, of which I have about a hundred in 5 'generations'

vulcan500rider
09-30-2012, 04:25 PM
I do a LOT of reading, primarily in the field of fantasy, but I'll read anything that has a good strong plot and great characters. I'm currently working on Joe Abercrombie's First Law series, and Elizabeth Moon's Speed of Dark. I also do some writing, satire & parody for the most part.

I tend to have an intense interest in doing things myself that other pay for-- such as brewing, obviously, but I've also done some furniture & speaker building, computer assembly, and general fixing.

Lastly, I have a collection of straight razors, and, up until my son was born and my spare time significantly decreased, maintained and shaved with them daily.

Actually, if anyone is interested, I have a website where most of the above is featured: www.nerdincognito.com Most of my hobbies have made it on there at one time or another...

Kun2112
09-30-2012, 04:38 PM
I have something else in common with some of you. I also shoot traditional archery, and enjoy a good wet shave, but I primarily use a 1961 Gillette adjustable fat-boy because it is more forgiving than my straight razor. Aikido! Of all the martial arts, that one appeals to me the most because of my personality.

Vance G
09-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Wow! I envy many of you for the proximity to swords and such. I was fair with a foil in college and it ruined most of the swashbuckler movies I ever saw or see! I collect sharp things in a small way. I have a stag killing dagger my father liberated from a museum in Luxumbourg on his walking tour of Europe one spring. I am now a keeper of bees and this summer an attempter of keeping too many. I used to be a flyfisherman and enjoyed those rainbows jumping higher than my head while wading chest deep in the Missouri! I decided it was silly and now just fish for walleyes, perch, catfish and other edibles and leave the harrassing of second rate fish who can't even grow a scale or tooth to tourists. I loved hunting birds and ducks but heart failure ended that tramping. I still harvest venison. My goal is to get a whitetail with equipment made from crooked stick to stone tip of straight stick. I have the cordage and arrow done; can knap a pretty fair point, but have not sucessfully made a self bow strong enough yet. I am about to sinew back one and call it good. A beautiful cavvie and the Mayans would have really appreciated it!

kudapucat
09-30-2012, 05:19 PM
I shoot furry things for the dinner table.
I sail, scuba dive, build medieval machinery to make better booze, like akuek, I'm still fixing up the house, I turn timber and try to make pretty boxes, and at the moment, I'm assisting in the production of further offspring. Only 2 weeks to go.

drako824
09-30-2012, 06:29 PM
I make chainmail, I read a lot, and I play rpg videogames.

Vance G
09-30-2012, 08:59 PM
I have about a square foot of chainmail (unriveted) that I made twenty some years ago! My hats off to you, that is a lot of work!

Chevette Girl
09-30-2012, 09:18 PM
I used to make chain mail. After my 10-lb vest and my hubby's 20-lb vest and the infill panel for my fantasy armour, my wrists and elbows have told me in no uncertain terms that I should stick with plate mail, it's easier on my body.

vulcan500rider
09-30-2012, 09:45 PM
I have something else in common with some of you. I also shoot traditional archery, and enjoy a good wet shave, but I primarily use a 1961 Gillette adjustable fat-boy because it is more forgiving than my straight razor. Aikido! Of all the martial arts, that one appeals to me the most because of my personality.

Fair enough; since the little guy came along, my straight only comes out on Sundays now, when I've got a few days worth of growth. My day-to-day is an Edwin Jagger DE. Making the change to a wet shave was a revelation, and I'd stop shaving entirely before I return to the days of cold shave gel and a 14 bladed razor (OK, OK, maybe they're not there yet...but soon).

ken_schramm
10-01-2012, 12:00 AM
I grow fruit - berries, cherries, apples, currants. I fish, and tie my own flies. When I can find the time, I hunt. I play the guitar and sing some, like to fling the frisbee, and love craft beer, good wine, baking, and cooking in general.

since the little guy came along, my straight only comes out on Sundays now.

I think we can all relate...

mrperq
10-01-2012, 03:04 AM
I work in IT which is a hobby turned job, still trying out new things in my own time still feels like a
hobby.

Just bought our first house, so the major hobby right now is "fixing stuff".

+1 (I'm not really handy, but I make up with patience, and time. LOTS of time.)

I also play the guitar, enjoy a good walk, reading/making trips/meditating about history, science
and society.

Somewhere in the near future I'm goint to try glass etching, make some pretty wine bottles :)

In the past I've been known to ride a horse, but that one died out. Can't even see the horribly
creatures anymore.

Wishlist: Beekeeping (small garden :(), destillation (law :(), Growing fruit,
making bio-diesel, fishing, hunting, robotics, ...

Altricious
10-01-2012, 07:21 AM
Wishlist: Beekeeping (small garden :(), destillation (law :(), Growing fruit,
making bio-diesel, fishing, hunting, robotics, ...

Bees will travel up to 3 miles, so don't let your small garden deter you. As long as you don't have a neighbor issue or literally no room for a hive, I say go for it. Even in mostly residential areas, there's plenty of flowers for your bees to visit.

hivemind
10-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Restoring a 1972 Honda CB450 - just laced and trued my wheels after getting the rims powercoated.
Stained glass when my garage isn't litter with motorcycle parts.
Reading Steve Erikson's Malazan Books of the Fallen while waiting for the next Patrick Rothfuss The Kingkiller Chronicle book.
Going to local reggae or metal concerts or visiting DC for metal concerts that don't stop by in NC.
Playing soccer 4-5 days a week - just returned from winning an amateur tournament in the Netherlands.
Video games (atm: Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2)
Sundays - drinking away the pain of being a NY Jet fan

mrperq
10-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Bees will travel up to 3 miles, so don't let your small garden deter you. As long as you don't have a neighbor issue or literally no room for a hive, I say go for it. Even in mostly residential areas, there's plenty of flowers for your bees to visit.

Small is quit relative offcourse, for a city-house
our garden is more then decent, manny flowers and
fine neighbours (thank god). The main problem is you
have to cross the entire garden to reach the garage,
leaving us no "forgotten corner".

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q618/mrperq/Hive_zpscec8194b.jpg

Green is the garden, black are buildings, grey is the
street and red is common traffic. At max, this leaves
a radius of 2m around a potential hive where people
dont pass dayly.

I'm not an expert of bee's but I guess they won't like
people comming too much too close to their hive, even
if its the guy who feeds them sugar. The bee's my
grandfather kept didn't anyway.

Altricious
10-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Small is quit relative offcourse, for a city-house
our garden is more then decent, manny flowers and
fine neighbours (thank god). The main problem is you
have to cross the entire garden to reach the garage,
leaving us no "forgotten corner".

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q618/mrperq/Hive_zpscec8194b.jpg

Green is the garden, black are buildings, grey is the
street and red is common traffic. At max, this leaves
a radius of 2m around a potential hive where people
dont pass dayly.

I'm not an expert of bee's but I guess they won't like
people comming too much too close to their hive, even
if its the guy who feeds them sugar. The bee's my
grandfather kept didn't anyway.

Bummer. That is a little tight. I don't suppose your garage has a flat roof?

TheAlchemist
10-01-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm assisting in the production of further offspring. Only 2 weeks to go.

Good on ya, Mate! Safe delivery and healthy outcomes for all!

...I collect sharp things in a small way. I have a stag killing dagger my father liberated from a museum in Luxumbourg on his walking tour of Europe one spring....

Hmmm...now that sounds like a story I'd like to hear more about...

Myself, as you know, I'm into spinning prayers into yarn. I have recently been gifted with a floor loom and will be putting it to good use once I have stocked up on enough yarn. I enjoy taking my Passport out for a spin when I can. The Prius c has halved my fuel costs, and I've recently learned that my cat is an excellent traveler, so I'm contemplating road tripping when time allows.

Guinlilly
10-01-2012, 10:58 AM
With the very little free time I have I like to draw, paint, carve horns, and do other artsy things. I spin with a drop spindle and would love a spinning wheel. I'm learning to knit and I embroider and sew. I love bluegrass and bluegrass festivals, camping, the Appalachians and Appalachian cooking. My soon to be hubby and I also spend a lot of time at our local breweries - tasting and in his case troubleshooting for a few. :D

The_Bishop
10-01-2012, 08:08 PM
I take stuff apart. I tinker. From computers to cars. Built both my and the wife's PCs. Currently have a '98 Camaro that runs 12.35@110 in the quarter mile, and corners far better than I'm comfortable pushing it. Since nothing is ever fast enough, I have a set of cylinder heads I'm currently porting, and planning on a cylinder head and camshaft swap come this winter.
I weld. I also do plumbing, electrical, general construction. Saves tons of money on the house.

wildoates
10-01-2012, 10:41 PM
My day job takes up most of my time from August through June, but I also put my hand to various works, from jewelry to miniature dollhouse food, to sewing. I am also in a reenactment guild, which takes up a large amount of both my time and money but is glorious fun. I have kids in four countries--only one of which is mine--so visiting them also takes money (but not nearly enough time, alas!). I make beer for friends and fam who like beer, which just happens to be many of my guildmates.

Oh, and I make mead from time to time. You've probably never heard of it. Made from honey. Fermented, nectar of the gods and all that.

Riverat
10-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Kayaking, antique trucks (I have a brand new 1963 Chevy, short bed, step side, first year factory four wheel drive; and a 54 that, well is a long way from new) science in general, wood working (I also handbuilt my home) and food from different cultures. Well that's the short list anyway, kinda like someones "to do list" it seems to grow over time

mrperq
10-03-2012, 03:15 AM
Bummer. That is a little tight. I don't suppose your garage has a flat roof?

Nop. While the curve isn't that steep (25), even if I could
build a structure on it, it would catch lots of wind. Maybe
in the future I buy a small patch of agricultural ground,
untill that time, I'll have to keep dreaming, and/or help
out a local beekeeper who appriciates the help.

Fisk Jaegaren
10-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Fishing, I am the Vice President of the Lake St. Clair Walleye Assoc.
Boating, I own 2 boats, target shooting and hunting, fishing tackle crafter, gardener, swimming and hot tubbing(ours or someone else's;)...) I also smoke meats, sausage's and fish. We also like concerts, some small bands, live theater(small stage), and renasiannce festivals. We also own 4 hounds, 2 beagles and 2 bassets, have one son and do alot of volunteer conservation work as well.

Other than that, we're kind of boring

TheAlchemist
10-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Celticgladiator, give a shout out to WB0UBL if you ever run into him for me.

Leeham991 I'd be interested in any favourite mead bread recipes you'd be willing to share.

I accidentally on purpose made cheese last week! Blessed are the cheese makers!

Also am a volunteer usher for the performing arts, and get to see between 20 and 200 performances a year.

I'm a big fan of LIVING my "bucket list."
Because I never know how much time I'll have here and am not prone to taking things for grated. Occupational hazard.

Dixiebeeco
10-05-2012, 10:43 AM
WOW! Lot's of interesting hobbies out there. For myself, I am a beekeeper (currently managing 10 hives in 2 states). I also propagate/graft several flowering and fruit trees, brew beer, saltwater fish, and somewhere in all that, make time to create stained glass and do my job as an officer in the Air Force.

Dixiebee,

illuveatar
10-05-2012, 12:20 PM
I've been making wine since I was about 14 and started making beer and mead shortly thereafter. I'm tending a dozen grape vines, 4 apple trees, 6 raspberry bushes, 3 cherry trees, and a strawberry patch all in hopes of fermenting the fruits.

I'm a father of two very young boys so most of my hobbies are on hold at the moment but when I can I like to restore motorcycles. I'm building a flintlock muzzleloader, perpetually it seems. I build computers, garden, fix and maintain all manner of household issues, always repair my own vehicles. I play guitar but my fingers just aren't nimble enough for me to ever get good at it. I collect coins, wines, and vintage electronics. I hunt, camp, sail and am a distance runner.

I'm interested in science, politics, history, geography, philosophy, classic films and I'm a trivia master.

I used to do theater work both on stage and behind the scenes but I probably won't have time for that until my kids grow a bit more.

TheAlchemist
10-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Oh!
Plus there's yoga, if you call that a hobby.

Vandall
10-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Other than Mead making, I brew beer, play bass guitar, ride motorcycles both on and off road, hunt deer with bow, gun and black powder, hunt turkey, and build furniture with wood, my latest creation being a oak wine (mead) rack and storage cabinet for my mead making supplies.

Vance G
10-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Just shot my first turkey the other day. Really scared people in the frozen food section!