PDA

View Full Version : Cotton Honey

Dixiebeeco
10-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Hello All,
Heading down to S. GA this weekend to extract ~300 lbs Cotton Honey from my hives. Looking to make my 3rd batch of mead with this new crop of honey and was wondering if anyone has ever made a mead with Cotton honey?

Dixiebee,

Looking to sell the extra honey, if you are interested at $4 a pound give me a call at 843-367-1418 and leave a message.

columbiacritter
10-03-2012, 03:52 PM
What kind of honey does cotton produce? Light? Dark? I was down in S.Carolina last week and as a bee keeper was wondering about cotton honey when I was driving past the fields. Wish I could have found someplace local to buy some.

Riverat
10-03-2012, 07:01 PM
What kind of honey does cotton produce? Light? Dark? I was down in S.Carolina last week and as a bee keeper was wondering about cotton honey when I was driving past the fields. Wish I could have found someplace local to buy some.

Very very light, some of it is almost whitish instead of yellow. Have not tried it.

Dixiebeeco
10-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Riverrat is correct. The honey is very light in color and some years almost clear as water. I really enjoy the Flat Rate post office boxes when it comes to shipping honey. Let me know if you would like to try some.

Dixiebee

p.s. strong hives can make a lot of Cotton Honey.

Loadnabox
10-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Riverrat is correct. The honey is very light in color and some years almost clear as water. I really enjoy the Flat Rate post office boxes when it comes to shipping honey. Let me know if you would like to try some.

Dixiebee

p.s. strong hives can make a lot of Cotton Honey.

Any discount then for bulk buying (5 gallons)?

wildoates
10-04-2012, 11:26 PM
I'd like to see you fit five gallons of honey in one of those flat rate boxes. :)

Dixiebeeco
10-05-2012, 10:46 AM
At $4 a pound that is already a $2 a pound discount. The price will go back up to $6 a pound at the end of next week. Starting to cool down outside and have several small sold orders for folks who like to bake for the fall.

Dixiebee