PDA

View Full Version : My second batch - very fast fermentation

Multiplexin
10-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Hello everyone! I've been lurking the forums for a while but this is my first post.

I began a one gallon batch of JAOM about one week ago and afterwards wanted to try creating my own recipe. Here's what I came up with:

Mead #2: Pumpkin Pie Bochet Melomel Metheglin Braggot ;)

2x15oz cans pumpkin, unspiced
1 lb light malt extract (dry)
.75lbs (1 cup) Costco clover honey
.75lbs (1 cup) dark wildflower honey

(rack onto these spices in secondary to better control flavors)
1 cinnamon stick
1 clove
2 tsp fresh nutmeg
tsp ginger

Yeast energizer
Yeast nutrient
Lalvin K1-V1116 Dry Yeast

Target OG: 1.100 (oops, forgot the pumpkin would contribute sugars)

10/5
-Baked pumpkin for 60 minutes at 325 degrees F

10/6
-Boiled .5 gallons of water and removed from heat. Steeped pumpkin in a nylon bag for 60 minutes. Stirred occasionally
-Lightly caramelized .75 lbs clover honey in stainless steel frying pan. Added some water once slightly cooled
-Added malt extract to pumpkin water and boiled for 15 minutes. Cooled in sink to 72 degrees F
-Added caramelized and un-caramelized honey to the malt mixture and combined
-Moved to 1 gallon glass jug, filled perfectly to leave some headspace in case of vigorous fermentation
-Moved jug to fridge and cooled to 72 degrees F
-Began rehydrating yeast
-Added yeast to 2 fl oz. water at 104 degrees F
-Aerated cooled must by shaking jug for 10 minutes
-After 15 minutes, added 2 fl oz. of cooled must
-After 15 more minutes, added 4 fl oz. of cooled must
-After 15 more minutes, added 8 fl oz. of cooled must. Total must/yeast mixture: 16 fl oz.
-After 15 more minutes, pitched yeast and swirled
-OG: ~1.120

-Add start of active fermentation, added 1/2 tsp nutrient and 1/2 tsp energizer

10/7
-Degassed and caused foam-over. Degassed with a twist cap on and slowly released pressure to minimize foam-over. These yeast have been partying.
-Added ⅛ tsp nutrient and ⅛ tsp energizer. Unable to get gravity reading due to foam
-Very nice pumpkin color
-Citrus scent from airlock
-Continuing to degass/aerate by swirling every few hours

Now, after a bit over 24 hours of fermentation, the SG has dropped to 1.040. Goodness, those yeast know how to party.

From what I've read, this is somewhat unexpected for a mead but I do have a significant amount of sugar from the DME and pumpkin. Do I have anything to be worried about? Any idea why I've been getting the citrus scent from the airlock?

Thanks!

P.S. My "brew log" is linked in my signature and has some more details and pictures.