PDA

View Full Version : Listerine-ish taste. Normal?

Logan5
10-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Hi everyone. I recently joined and have been learning quite a bit reading these forums. I was pretty excited to find this forum. Though I generally lurk and don't really post much, I thought I might need to here just to see if things are working the way they should be for my mead (side note: I also tend to be a bit wordy when I actually do post).

I enjoyed Ken Schramm's book immensely and have been wanting to create a batch of Mambo in your Mouth, but first I need to ensure my current batch will end up okay.

I did JAO and it turned out awesome!

So, here is what I have. This is Schramm's recipe for Medium Show Mead, pg. 163 in The Compleat Meadmaker:

Started on July 21st, 2012
12 lbs of local honey (mid state Wisconsin)
4 gallons distilled water
2 tsp energizer
2 tsp nutrient
Lavlin D-47, created a starter slurry of 1 qt.
O.G 1.080
current gravity is 1.010

I racked this on August 5th from the plastic primary bucket to the glass secondary carboy. The fermentation was strong and I racked after it slowed, as directed in Schramm's book.

It is still fermenting, though slowly. I haven't timed the bubbles, but I'd guess one or two an hour.

The taste, though, is what I am concerned about. It doesn't taste like Listerine, but that is the closest I can come to describing the taste. Listerine is way worse, but it does remind me of a watered down beer-like flavor.

Should I be concerned about this? Or is this pretty normal? I want to avoid chemicals as much as possible, but I'm not opposed to adding something if need be.

Perhaps I'm being impatient and I've wrote all of that for you to say, "Don't worry, it's normal and it will age out," or something. If that is the case, then Sweet As, Bro!

Thanks!
Jim

fatbloke
10-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Kens analogy of listerine can be a bit unnerving, especially when you first get it in one of your brews.

I'd say just finish it as normal, but with one caveat. D47 makes good meads, but you do need to keep an eye on the fermentation temperature. Over 70F/21C and its been found to produce fusels.

It's hard to tell the difference from a batch that tastes "alcohol hot", so continue as is and be prepared to age it for some time......

Logan5
10-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks, fatbloke for the confidence to stay the course. When I took my gravity reading yesterday, I left the sample in the hydrometer tube. Hours later I'd pick it up and tap the side and bubbles would form and float up. Very cool to see that happen. It also tells me that I need to be patient and let it age! That, along with your message tells me to set it aside and let it be.

Hopefully fusels are not a problem. I had this in my basement for both primary and secondary and the temp should have maxed out at 70F, though I suppose in the middle of summer it may have exceeded that for a short period.

Thanks again!