PDA

View Full Version : Just saying Hi

Sqeejo
10-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Got my equipment in and about to start my first two batches.

Going to try a traditional and the JAO....

Wish me luck!

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/Sqeejo/Mead_zpsb9e4cd28.jpg

Vance G
10-12-2012, 01:26 AM
You are wished luck big spender! That is a sizeable investment on equipment and is that a small fortune in honey?! Sorry, but it gets worse. I am near panic because I have no carboy for the batch in the primary fermenter bucket right now! My wife is making snide remarks about 33 1/2 gallons of mead in various states and I am wondering how to rearrange the carboys so she won't notice another!

mrperq
10-12-2012, 06:08 AM
Welcome to gotmead!

Good luck with your first batch!
You new to fermenting in general or
you're new only to meadmaking?
Keep us posted on the results!

My wife is making snide remarks about 33 1/2 gallons of mead in various states and I am wondering how to rearrange
the carboys so she won't notice another!

Heh that sounds familiar :)
You could always try the surrealism way,
Never know it might work ;)
http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q618/mrperq/CeciCestPasUneCarboy_zpsb8c4ac53.jpg

Sqeejo
10-12-2012, 03:19 PM
You are wished luck big spender! That is a sizeable investment on equipment and is that a small fortune in honey?! Sorry, but it gets worse. I am near panic because I have no carboy for the batch in the primary fermenter bucket right now! My wife is making snide remarks about 33 1/2 gallons of mead in various states and I am wondering how to rearrange the carboys so she won't notice another!

Lol yeah it was a small fortune. Right around 75usd for what honey I got and still getting some more for the jao batch. :)

Welcome to gotmead!

Good luck with your first batch!
You new to fermenting in general or
you're new only to meadmaking?
Keep us posted on the results!

New to fermenting. I dabbled a little once in a mr beer when I was in college, but never really got started. Found a love for mead and decided there was no way I could let this go without trying my hand at it.

Chevette Girl
10-12-2012, 04:23 PM
My wife is making snide remarks about 33 1/2 gallons of mead in various states and I am wondering how to rearrange the carboys so she won't notice another!

<blink> I just realized I still have almost that many gallons in my kitchen... the rest is all in the basement winery... my hubby just wants "his" kitchen back!

So, welcome to the forum Sqeejo... it's not addictive at all, really... ;D

skunkboy
10-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Congrats! :)

celticgladiator
10-13-2012, 01:36 AM
Awesome!!! Hope it turns out good!!!!

Sqeejo
10-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Got two batches started last night. 1 gallon of JAO and 5 gallons of traditional.

JAO is exactly as recipe and fermenting nicely. 1 bubble every 2-3 seconds on the airlock.

Traditional is going to be a sweet mead. Here is the Recipe I followed:

Batch Date: 10-14-12
Size: 5 gallons US
Honey: 18lbs Blue Ribbon honey
Water to balance to 5 gallons
2.5tsp energizer
5tsp nutrient
2 packs 71B-1112 yeast Lalvin
S.G. 1.130

Disolved honey into 130 degree water.
Poured Must into Bucket.
Started my energizer/nuttrient in a bowl.
Rehydrated yeast in seperate bowl.
Balanced must with 4 gallons(approx) to bring level to 5 gallons.
Aerated must for 5 minutes with very vigorous stirring/back stirring with paddle.
Pitched nutrient mixture.
Stirred for another minute.
Took temp reading at 80 degrees.
Pitched yeast.
Gentle stir.

Lid and set aside.

It is fermenting like no mans land. 2-3 bubbles on the airlock every second. :eek:

That seem like too fast a ferment? Its just sitting at room temp in a 6 gallon bucket. @72 degrees

Haven't opened it yet to aerate. Should I wait to aerate if its going this good?

Chevette Girl
10-15-2012, 04:22 PM
<gentle nudge> You know, we do have a brewlog (The Mead Log!) section exactly for this sort of thing... makes it easier to find it when you want to update your progress :)

And in answer to your questions, don't wait to aerate, the yeasties need oxygen to breed and that's what they're doing... you can safely aerate this batch up until your SG's around 1.070 or so before you have to worry about oxidation.

And don't go by airlock bubbles to judge the speed or efficiency of your ferment, go by change in specific gravity.

TheAlchemist
10-15-2012, 04:31 PM
<gentle nudge> You know, we do have a brewlog (The Mead Log!) section exactly for this sort of thing...and don't go by airlock bubbles...

My sentiments, exactly.

Sqeejo
10-15-2012, 05:20 PM
[COLOR="Purple"]<gentle nudge> You know, we do have a brewlog (The Mead Log!) section exactly for this sort of thing... makes it easier to find it when you want to update your progress :)

COLOR]

My sentiments, exactly.

10-4 Challenge Accepted. Starting this on a Brewlog :)