• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead the the Wedding

Barrel Char Wood Products

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
BrimmingHorn and I got married this weekend! Yay!!!

And here we are...
Wedding019.jpg

But I'm also writing 'cause I wanted to show you guys the mead we made for the wedding (We had two meads we made, an Irish Red Ale that he made, and plenty of DFH)

The first is Weiss Frau, a Müller-Thurgau pyment with added Elderflowers
Wedding010.jpg

The second is Donar's Blessing, a Cabernet Franc pyment aged on oak
Wedding011.jpg

Beautiful, aren't they? Unfortunately guests got wine bottle happy and ended up taking most of the leftovers. We have 2 bottles of Donar's Blessing left to age, and perhaps 4 of the Weiss Frau. Most seemed to prefer the Donar's Blessing!

Last edited:

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
Congratulations with Many Happy Returns of the Day!

It looks like you had a lovely day, in one of Delaware's unbeatable State Parks?

May your meads and your marriage age well!

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Ditto the sentiment of the others. Well done both, but with a tiny bit of jealousy.

Cabernet Franc eh ?. We can't locate any source for those grapes, and for my preferred red wines I do enjoy the likes of St Emillion, Chateau Neuf du Pape, etc.

So the closest I've managed is the Merlot and Tempranillo pyments that I pressed on Sunday and I started the Syrah/Shiraz pyment last night.

Still, good on yer both.

schlapppy

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2010
Cranberry Twp., PA
Congrats! And remember mead for your honeymoon

"In Celtic cultures, Mead was believed to enhance virility and fertility, while also contributing supposed aphrodisiac qualities. As a result, Mead quickly found its way into Irish wedding ceremonies. In fact, the term “honeymoon” is believed to have stemmed from the Irish tradition of newlyweds drinking honey wine everyday for one full moon (a month) after their weddings. Today, some Irish weddings still include a traditional Mead toast to the newlyweds as a fair tribute to times and well wishes of both old and new."

triarchy

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 28, 2010
WI
"North, East, South, and West,
offering you blessings wherever you go"

Well done, you two look great and the setting is beautiful. Here is to a long and happy marriage. And I have to say your guests are quite lucky, anybody can buy wine for a wedding but few get to try mead from the bride and grooms own hand.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns