PDA

View Full Version : Concern about 71B, cyser and sorbate.

Altodiva
10-17-2012, 03:14 AM
Concern about 71B, cyser and sorbate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Howdy. I'm planning on making a cyser at some point. (just finishing up one made with Lalvin D47 that is turning out awfully tart and sour..... will be playing around with backsweetening and time for this one!) I'd like to try Lalvin 71B on the next batch to try and take some of the malic acid edge off.

I plan on sulfiting the fresh cider with K-metabilsufate (the apples were pressed at a big party and I wasn't too convinced of the cleanliness of the process!)

After fermentation, I plan on stabilizing the young cyser first with potassium metabisulfite and then with K-sorb. Herein lies my question:

My understanding is that 71B metabolizes malic acid into lactic acid. So does this put me in danger of creating the "rotten geranium" stink when I add the sorbate?

Thanks in advance for any help with this! (BTW, I did a search but couldn't find an answer to this...)

Chevette Girl
10-17-2012, 10:30 AM
K-meta 24 hours before pitching is definitely not a bad idea if you're not sure about the sanitation of your ingredients.

The k-sorb will only (potentially) break down into the geraniol compounds if there's no sulphites as well, but since you plan to use sulphites at the same time, you should be fine.

Welcome to the forum!