PDA

View Full Version : Potassium sorbate in cider

zambo
10-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Hi, just picked up some sweet apple cider to make a cyser, which was labeled "unpasteurized", that turns out to have .02% potassium sorbate in it. Is this going to be no good for fermenting, or is the sorbate low enough to allow the yeast to do their thing?

Thanks

Chevette Girl
10-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Potassium sorbate inhibits yeast from breeding. So whatever yeast you pitch in there is all you're getting, so you'll want a nice big healthy starter, and you may have to repitch a couple of times with fresh starters.

And there's nothing you can do to get the stuff out of there either. Try a forum search on "sorbate" and "cider" or "sorbated cider" or something like that and you should find a thread where one member discovered after he'd started that his cider had sorbate in it.

zambo
10-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Thanks, I have decided not to use this particular cider, which I subsequently discovered is also from last years crop(frozen). I have found a couple of better suppliers, which do pasteurize but do not add preservative. Unfortunately, it is hard to find unpasteurized apple cider(unless you press them yourself), the law seems to require it.

Thanks again

Chevette Girl
10-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Pasteurized is fine as long as you use pectinase. But yeah, I think there are laws that insist on some form of preservation, whether it be heat, UV or chemicals.