PDA

View Full Version : To keep or not?

BSC
10-26-2012, 07:16 AM
Posted about a mead getting darker previously. This concerns the same.

The mead made was with raspberries and I think it has come out fairly high in alcohol content, say 18% area, made in 2009 so some time back. The mead has been sat for about 3 years and I have just had to filter it again. I could not see a bright LED torch shone through the DJ. After the filtering I can see the torch and it is "clear" as in not cloudy or with visible suspension. Just dark.

A taste of it is not off but not a drinkable state either, sort of harsh. Possibly the alcohol content ??

After the latest filtering, the DJ that it came from had a definite darkening of the glass where the mead had been. This makes me think of tanin (?)

Do I give up and abandon the mead or do I leave it in the present DJ, cork it up and leave for what I guess is the next 5 to 10 years?

Chevette Girl
10-26-2012, 12:39 PM
You're probably right about the dark coating on the inside of the carboy being tannins, I've had that happen too. It might have been clear if you'd filtered it before and it could just be the deposit on the carboy preventing you from seeing the flashlight beam.

You didn't mention how sweet this finished, maybe try pulling a sample and add a small amount of honey, see if that balances it out a little better?

How does it smell?

If you've got the space, there's no harm in keeping it to see what happens. I've got one batch that has been slowly dropping the tannins that make it undrinkable for six or seven years now. All it costs me is the carboy space and the occasional 2 minutes to check on/refill the airlock. It's slowly becoming more drinkable... I just can't bear to toss it, it was a lot of work (processing hundreds and hundreds of highbush cranberries) and it smells delightful...

fatbloke
10-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Ditto/+1.....